Notices

My daughter's fight

Old 11-22-2012, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My daughter's fight

Hello, today is thanksgiving, and my daughter is in so much pain, . Ok I don't know where to start. My daughter 18+ is fighting the biggest fight of her life, struggling to get out of the control of Roxies,(blues) I am looking for ways to help her overcome this but I am afraid that I don't know how.
My daughter was arrested for hitting a guy and she is in jail, I can bail her out but part of me is saying if she only stay there couple more days the drug will get out of her system.
I had never been addicted to anything so I really can not relate. I am reaching out to anyone in here to please help me understand this, My daughter is trying, I just wish I can help her.
Please help me, what can I do to help her beat this demon.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((Leah)) - Welcome to SR, though sorry for what has brought you here. You may want to check out this forum, too as there are many people there who are dealing with children and other loved ones who are addicts.

Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-22-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Prayers and best wishes for you and your daughter Leah.
You'll find a lot of support here - do check out the link Impurrfect gave you too.

D
Old 11-22-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello Leah:

NA would be a great help to her if she's receptive to it. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Al-Anon would be a big help to you.

I wish you and your daughter the best.

Bob R
Old 11-22-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I too am sorry for what brought you here but welcome you just the same. In some ways loving an addict is maybe even worse than being one. You can do what you can to help but ultimately they have to want to change, and unfortunately some parts of it must be faced alone. Have you looked into Al Anon?
Old 11-22-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Unfortunately, there really isn't anything you can do to help her beat her addiction.

Addiction is life consuming. It makes it impossible for the addict to be resonable, responsible, make rational decisions, and it makes it impossible for the addict to care about anything but the drugs. I, like your daughter, started off with roxys and then went to heroin when I needed something stronger. You're daughter is in for a long road and she needs to want recovery more than anything she has ever wanted ever before in her life to even have the smallest chance of obtaining it.

I wouldn't bail her out. She needs to face the consequences of her decisions otherwise she will continue to use. The more we try to help the addict in our lives the more we enable them to continue being addicts. They need to see the consequences of choosing to continue in a life of addiction. Even if you waited til the drugs were out of her system, that doesn't mean she will won't come out and do them again and this time something more serious could happen.

I wish you and your family strength in this hard time. Your daughter needs to evalute her life and decide if she wants to be life or death.

hugs

Maylie
Old 11-22-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

My thoughts and prayers are with you....can't really offer too much advice cause I have not experienced this personally. I have only been in your daughter's shoes. Tough love can definitely be a wake up call for a lot of people and situations.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

The family and friends sections is an awesome place to start for support...if you are lookin for people in your area, Al-anon will help with that.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Leah, I just want to add my thoughts and prayers for you and your daughter.

You've gotten good advice here, so hopefully things will turn around for you both.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to our family!