Notices

Thank You to Soberrecovery

Old 11-22-2012, 02:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thank You to Soberrecovery

First of all, I am sure this post belongs in another forum. My apologies in advance to the moderator! I wanted to put it in newcomer forum because that was the place I always went to in my early days of recovery.

This weekend I am celebrating TWO YEARS of sobriety!!! I wanted to say thank you to soberrecovery for being instrumental in my recovery. (Along with intense psychotherapy..) Although I did not post often, I sure as heck read a lot of stories that were inspirational to me, whether it be a "Hey! I want to be where that person is!" Or a "I never want to go back to where that person is!" They were equally helpful.

I have learned alot about myself these past 2 years, especially the second year. The first was pretty shaky; I was not confident in who I was or how I would react to new situations, etc. This last year has been transformative. I am more confident in who I am, what I want, and what I am willing to do to get there.

There have been tough times. I separated after 7 years marriage early this year. The old me would have drank myself into oblivion. The new me has had some rough days, but I have come out stronger. It sounds cliche, I know. There was one day that I was crying all day about being alone. I did not drink. Instead I searched on the internet for things that would help me get through the day, and in that search I had some "lightbulb moments" that were...priceless. I would have NEVER gotten there had I been drinking.
So, a happy thanksgiving to all. I wish you ALL good luck in your recovery. Thanks again.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What a lovely post Marcia36....and one which inspires me. Congrats on 2years...that's amazing!!
I was only thinking earlier I need to say a big 'thank you' to people, even though I've only been on here a short time. I was really struggling on my own on Day 3.... thought I was dying. I Googled 'alcohol withdrawal day 3 symptoms' or something. And up popped SR. And it's been the best thing ever. I believe I'd have been in a very dark place without this support. So I also extend my thanks.
Sorry to hear of your separation and the rough times you've experienced. I hope your life continues to go upwards. The strength you have encourages me to keep going.
Take good care and keep on keeping on xx
Old 11-22-2012, 03:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ahh marcia thats lovely,, and great to hear,, you are an inspiration to us all,,, im on day 21,,, but i knw i will get to where u are in about,,,, 1 year and just over 11 mnths!!
well done,, and big hugs to you lv cleo xxx
isnt sr a fab place?? xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 11-22-2012, 03:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations Marcia
sorry to hear of your break up but it's great your recovery is going so terrifically

D
Old 11-22-2012, 05:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, guys! Yes...breakups are always sad, but I am glad to be done with that part of my life. One of those relationships that doesn't survive unless you are heavily medicated! I also am graduating nursing school with my RN in May. I hope to oneday be a nurse in a recovery center! It all comes full circle....much love to you all.