Notices

Woke up naked in hotel room.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:46 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Inda, I was referring to this:
Working on developing a good God concept is difficult sometimes but it may just be the ticket for keeping you out of those hotel rooms ......
No misconception here. Spirituality of any kind is not necessary to recover from addiction. A "handing it over" to a higher power in any form (group, doorknob) has not been necessary for many of us.

I do agree that atheists can apply the 12 steps, albiet with modifications. But, to imply that someone will "come around" to spirituality in any form is condescending and counterproductive. I just wanted to OP to have hope and to know that she can recover from this madness regardless of her beliefs.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

the OP left this thread yesterday morning. They posted in another area.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Yes, but it's possible there are athiest lurkers that could use some hope too.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:06 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Spirituality of any kind is not necessary to recover from addiction. A "handing it over" to a higher power in any form (group, doorknob) has not been necessary for many of us.
Used to be an atheist. I'm not anymore, but I tend to agree with what you said here. I lean more toward the ideas in Rational Recovery that separate bad habits - drinking, drugging, gambling, etc. - from spirituality. Sure, a healthy sense of the latter can make one's life feel more complete and enjoyable, but it is not necessary to make a firm decision to never willingly indulge in those habits again.

However, if that is what some feel is needed to quit and stay quit, then more power to them. I wouldn't wanna discourage anyone from doing what works, nor would I encourage anyone to go against his/her core beliefs (or lack thereof) in the effort to find something that does.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Agreed and well said GetMeOut.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Thanks for your comments, Soberlicious & GetMeOut! I'm recovering as an optimistic agnostic, but I agree that we should all follow the path that will allow us to stay sober, whether we rely on a higher power or not. We're all striving for the same thing, right? :-)

McKenna, I hope you've found a plan of action that gives you hope. I'm doing one-on-one counseling and arming myself with knowledge (RR, AVRT), and I think the final turnaround has begun. I hope the same is happening for you. You sound like a kind & intelligent person, and you certainly deserve to feel at peace.