Notices

I AM Nothing !!

Old 11-21-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I AM Nothing !!

I have a process addiction so it is harder to see and there are no support groups for it ...so it can be really hard to see when it is taking control. I have a ton of physical problems and I think perhaps that my guilt and not feeling RIGHT about myself may be creating many of them.

***BUT: when I think of stopping I feel really empty and that I have nothing inside. It tends to take up a lot of my time and since I feel physically wretched 24/7 it distracts me. If I am not distracted then I feel nothing but misery and pain....AND EMPTY!!

I am new to this- does this feeling like I an am empty suit without my addiction sound familiar??

Thanks
Old 11-21-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can relate to this. Since my divorce I just isolate myself. Just feel empty inside. Went through this for too long, so trying to find things to "sort of" bring me back to life again.

I've been feeling totally empty for a long time, with drinking and without drinking.

And you are not a "nothing". You are a very important person. Stick around there is plenty of support here
Old 11-21-2012, 07:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think you're a nothing either

Feeling empty and depressed is pretty normal too - at least it was for me.

My relationship with alcohol and drugs may have been toxic - but it was a relationship - one of the longest of my life.

I'm not a psychologist, but I'd expect the same would ring true at some basic level for dysfunctional behaviours and long term addictions to them?

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me

A little shock, a lot of uncertainty and fear of 'what now' and even a little grief are common to most of us I think.

ps welcome back

D
Old 11-21-2012, 07:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Whatever has happened in your life is in the past. Maybe it's time to move to the future which I'm sure is what you're trying to do but just remember that yesterday is gone.

Has therapy helped you at all?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You're not nothing!

I think we all had to regain our identity after getting into recovery. For a very long time I identified myself with my addiction and once I stopped using I felt empty and lost. For a long time I used that empty feeling as a reason to relapse, but once I created a strong recovery plan I was able to overcome that empty feeling except on my bad days where I still struggle, but stay sober

Keep posting and reading. No matter what our addiction, we are all here for the same reason, to get better and have fulfilled happy lives