Notices

Sober Thanksgiving

Old 11-21-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober Thanksgiving

For the past few years, my Thanksgiving tradition has been to spend the morning snowboarding, the afternoon eating (and drinking), and the evening watching holiday movies (and drinking of course).

This year, I'll be going to an extremely large dinner with my girlfriend and her family and I know there will be drinking there.

My problem is not that I'll be tempted to drink. I'm so sick of the idea of alcohol that I don't want anything to do with it (that's where I'm at in my recovery right now). My problem is that I know I'll be asked if I'd like a drink. I can turn the offer down with a nice, "Ahhh, I'm alright. Thanks though" and I'm sure everything will be fine. I just don't want the stares of "I'm sorry" and "poor you" from people at this dinner who know I have issues with alcohol. Who know's, that probably won't even happen. Now that I'm sober though, I find myself worrying that my drinking will always sort of sneak in to every situation... Hopefully that makes sense???

Anyways, I really don't know why I felt the need to write this, but I did.

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

DNVR
Old 11-21-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

You're right.. it probably wont happen (the poor yous and I'm sorrys). I've been sober for almost four years and I can think of only one time someone followed my "no thank you" with an additional question, and all it was was "really? never?" "No, never ". No one cares if you drink.. and if they do, that's just weird and unhealthy. Have a great thanksgiving!! There wont be any alcohol at mine, other than the one beer my husband will have, and the one beer my grandpa wont even finish.
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found most people weren't remotely interested whether I was drinking or not - I hope you find the same DNVR

D
  # 4 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Oh, and hi neighbor!
Old 11-21-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Have a great sober Thankgiving. Only time I had an issue was when I was hosting and did not supply booze. Some people were a bit upset but I just said if you want it you get it.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It probably will sneak into many conversations. what you may not have been aware of was the conversations over the years when you were maybe out of control, or foolish, or just in an altered state. There may have been conversations or unkind comments about you that you weren't aware of. You won't be part of those conversations either! All my friend and work relationships for the past 20 years involved drinking, so it is glaring that I have stopped. My friends really don't care, my addicted friends are upset but they are addicts who I forgive, and I never cared about judgmental non-alcoholics when I was drinking so it is hard to embrace their pro-judgemental opinions now! Your friends and loved ones are there for you. Happy Thanksgiving