Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Anyone know about Cenikor Adult Residence Program in Baton Rouge?

Notices

Old 11-21-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey! I hope I can post in these forums. I am not an addict, but I am a mom and my daughter, 18 almost 19, is a meth addict. Breaks my heart, but I was the one who had her arrested. She is young & head-strong. She is currently in jail on probation violations. She can't research places for help since she is in jail. And she really doesn't have a clue where to look either. Although she is 18, she still seems like such a kid. She has a court date Dec. 10 where the judge MAY allow her to go to an in-resident treatment center if we can find one. I have located Cenikor in Baton Rouge. Has anyone had experience with them? Can you tell me what to expect?
Old 11-21-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

I don't have any experience with them but here's the wikipedia page: Cenikor Foundation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11-21-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I can offer you try to send "Itchy" a message. He has some real good sobriety and lives down that way, he might be able to help you out..

Prayers sent to all for you..
Old 11-21-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you, IndaMiricle. I really appreciate all the info. I can get.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no personal experience to share - but welcome kajund2r

D
Old 11-26-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Cenikor Baton Rouge is a 18-24 month program. There is an admission fee but the program is free. The first 60 days are orientation where they learn about anger management, responsibility, taking credit for their actions, learning to open up and talk to others going through the program. After 60 days they will work on getting their GED if they don't have it. Then they will work for a business partner during the day and do group and individual counseling in the evening. The program works for those willing to follow the rules and learn to help themselves. A lot of people who go to Cenikor are head strong and trying to fight the system. She will get the help she needs but she can't fight it. No treatment programs work if you fight against them or count the days to get out.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The program is behavior modification based and primarily peer driven. It is very structured and rigid. Addicts hate to be controlled, so there are many complaints from the residents and many simply walk out (not lockdown). Those mandated by court go back to jail for walking out.

Those that remain will be forced to work to pay their own way eventually. Cenikor gets that money, so many residents cry slavery. However, if you look at their books, which you can online as they are a non-profit, you will see that residents' incomes cover less than half the operating costs of the facility in any given year. If you've been looking at treatment facilities, you know how expensive they really are, and most addicts just coming off active addiction have nowhere near the earning potential to pay in full.

My husband is there now. Food is good, facility is clean. He feels "scrutinized" and sometimes "singled out." They call him on poor behavior and attitude, and they dish out punishments that adults find degrading (standing in a corner in an upright position for an hour; sitting in a "verbal chair" straight back, head up, hands on knees for an hour; writing lines or essays; etc). They are expected to report other residents for breaking rules, and if they don't report, they are subject to the same punishment as the primary offender. It has a kind of boot camp vibe to it, but breaking the addiction obsessive/compulsive thinking generally requires some form of brain rewiring. They are kept very very busy and husband says they get about 5 hours of sleep a night most nights. I get that it is not pleasant, very hard in fact, but I haven't heard anything that I would consider abuse

My research indicates there was a problem with their Deer Park TX facility where some of the residents were cooking meth in a Cenikor run thrift store and some of the residents became sexually involved with each other. Apparently, the facility handled those poorly. My research also indicates that few complete the program, but the success rate of those that do graduate is 90% after a year and 75% after 5+years (nothing listed after 5 years). Of non-graduates, the longer the stay, the higher the percentage, much like any other facility.

Husband had been to traditional rehab and felt it was like a vacation, so maybe this will be more lasting. Best wishes for you and yours.