Notices

33 days sober couple questions...

Old 11-21-2012, 05:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

33 days sober couple questions...

Hi All,

What the hell is wrong me?
35 y o. Never thought alcohol was that bad an issue for me until I woke up 2 hours after a binge thinking I was going to die. Went to ER and primary...was diagnosed with vertigo.
Nobody told me I was in withdrawal...figured it out on my own after a couple more episodes. Anxiety, insomnia, body aches, slightest noise scares the crap out of me. Lost 20 lbs. Look and feel terrible.
People are starting to ask what is going on with me.
Waiting to see a light at the end of the tunnel.
Is this common?
When will this get better?
Grateful for any help and support.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

It's normal to feel bad in the beginning - 33 days is stretching it a little in my experience tho Sean.

Have you been back to the Dr at all since the initial ER consult?

D
Old 11-21-2012, 05:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes. Referred to addiction psych...put me on some meds for anxiety (not sure if I'm supposed to say what) . Very low doses which I have been weaning off.
Going in for CT scan and MRI to hopefully rule anything more serious out.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The physical withdrawal from alcohol quite simply doesn't last 33 days.

I'm glad to hear you're seeing a Doctor and that is who can answer your questions about what is going on with you.

Best of luck to you!
Old 11-21-2012, 05:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

At 18 months my brain and body is still healing from all of my drinking. Give time time, things do change for the better. A program of recovery can help immensely.

I wish you well.

Love & hugs,
Old 11-21-2012, 06:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello Sean. Good you are talking this over with a doctor. I experienced episodes of vertigo upon standing for several months until my blood sugar and blood pressure evened out after sobriety, both had lows that left me fatigued, lethargic. All related to the withdrawal. It just takes some months. Let this help reinforce your decision to quit. Best wishes to you.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
Hi All,

What the hell is wrong me?
35 y o. Never thought alcohol was that bad an issue for me until I woke up 2 hours after a binge thinking I was going to die. Went to ER and primary...was diagnosed with vertigo.
Nobody told me I was in withdrawal...figured it out on my own after a couple more episodes. Anxiety, insomnia, body aches, slightest noise scares the crap out of me. Lost 20 lbs. Look and feel terrible.
People are starting to ask what is going on with me.
Waiting to see a light at the end of the tunnel.
Is this common?
When will this get better?
Grateful for any help and support.
Hi Sean,

I know that I drank to get rid of my anxiety, insomnia, and panic attacks. I didn't know how to deal with them, or what to do with them, so I drank. I was self-medicating. Now not drinking, I need to learn how to deal with them the right way. Also the more I thought about my symptoms the worse they got.

Are you still experiencing bouts of vertigo? I had vertigo like symptoms years ago, it seemed at that time, every time I got a cold, the virus would settle in my ear, and it would knock out my equilibrium. I also normally have low blood pressure.

This is by no means a medical diagnosis or anything like that, just saying that there could be many reasons for you feeling like this.

So glad you are seeing Drs for this, and having test done.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes gradually weaned off a very small dosage of lorazepam.
Was able to give a lecture yesterday without having taken anything but it was pretty scary.
Don't want to be on anything.
Just want to enjoy life, my kids, etc.
Instead I'm in this constant fog.
XUNE is scaring me.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
YEM
05/07/2011

Have you tried exercise? Working out, running, walking, stretching for about an hour each day really made a huge difference in my overall well being. Make sure you are eating right and drinking plenty of water.

I know stuff like that sounds trivial and too basic but a lot of us get so focused on how we are feeling that we forget that those things help immensely. If I were in your shoes, I would talk to your doctor about whats going on and ask for ways to feel better without any drugs to change the way you feel. You do not want a benzo habit. Trust me.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sean, withdrawal can last for many months. Acute withdrawal is the initial days or week or two, then post acute withdrawal. The fog is there for a lot of people. Read up on Post Acute Withdrawal (PAWS). Good wishes to you.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That sounds like anxiety Sean. It might be worth looking into some Cognitive behavioural therapy type stuff to help with that x
Old 11-21-2012, 06:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

also sounds like anxiety to me...

how long have you been drinking?
it's very possible that, like many here, you were drinking to self-medicate the anxiety. and now that you've quit you are dealing with those feelings sober...

i would certainly try exercise, if you haven't already. you need to get back your mind-body connection. yoga is great for that, well it's great for a lot of things. certainly would recommend that.