SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Headaches (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/274946-headaches.html)

JJay 11-19-2012 04:09 PM

Headaches

This is only my sixth day sober. The first three or four days I would get really bad headaches around 9 or 10 o'clock. The last few days it's happened earlier, about 6 or 7PM. I have A LOT on my plate right now and a few friends have said they might be stress headaches. Anyone else in early recovery getting headaches?

Thepatman 11-19-2012 04:29 PM

Had some also, you need to drink water like hell. Your body needs more water then someone else because of the major cleanup it needs to do. If this keeps going after a few more days, doctor time!

JJay 11-19-2012 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Thepatman (Post 3678911)
Had some also, you need to drink water like hell. Your body needs more water then someone else because of the major cleanup it needs to do. If this keeps going after a few more days, doctor time!

I drink anywhere from a gallon to two gallons a day of water due to my workouts. I just don't feel comfortable taking aspirin/tylenol/whatever every single night.

Windancer 11-19-2012 04:34 PM

Maybe give it a wee bit more time.....see if it eases. If it is only day 6 it is early days yet! I bet there are many reasons for headaches. If it persists or gets really bad I agree that maybe ask your doctor about it....
Hope your head feel better soon.

healthylife87 11-19-2012 04:35 PM

I had headaches the first 2 weeks. I found that exercise, eating right and a good night's sleep each night helped lessen them, but they did persist for a good 2 weeks.

escapist 11-19-2012 04:37 PM

I had tension headaches for the first 3 weeks. It was still worth it.

KitKat7575 11-19-2012 04:39 PM

I had splitting headaches every morning for the first 3wks. Just keep drinking the water (you will lose loads during workouts), eat well and take a good multi-vitamin. I think our minds and bodies are so shattered due to the relentless abuse over the years.....they're tired and want rest....time to recover. So yes, headaches are 'normal'....our little nerve endings are screaming, having just started to wake up from being numbed for years x

JJay 11-19-2012 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by healthylife87 (Post 3678916)
I had headaches the first 2 weeks. I found that exercise, eating right and a good night's sleep each night helped lessen them, but they did persist for a good 2 weeks.

The exercise and eating right hasn't been a problem at all. Sleep is out of my hands though :( And it's been pretty sporadic.

phoebe64 11-19-2012 04:46 PM

Yeah. I get mild headaches whenever I am going a day or a few without my evening cocktails. Mild form of withdrawal for me, I assume. It was good today, so I may be over that hump.

Grimes 11-19-2012 04:47 PM

same **** with me, had a headache all day today. and all of the other days too. gonna bring some tylenol tomorrow.

Dee74 11-19-2012 05:11 PM

It seems common with a lot of us.
Do see a Dr tho if you're concerned, Jay :)

D

Delilah1 11-19-2012 06:23 PM

I am prone to migraines, and had a headache the first few days. I ended up with four days of migraines a few weeks in, could have been combination of stress, withdrawal, and anxiety, but I ended up in the ER for two days. Knock on wood they haven't come back.

solstice3 11-19-2012 06:38 PM

JJ, I had headaches too esp on day 4-6. Of course, in October, it just made me drink again - guess what - headache gone - LOL, but hangover back. This time, on day 9 now, I didn't get them as bad. Do not know what I did different, except not push myself too much and keep my mind on other things.

They should pass soon. I don't like tylenol/aspirin either.

DoubleBarrel 11-19-2012 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by JJay (Post 3678913)
I drink anywhere from a gallon to two gallons a day of water due to my workouts. I just don't feel comfortable taking aspirin/tylenol/whatever every single night.

This is kind of funny if you consider what you have done to your body with other stuff.

Yes, headaches are the brain readjusting, getting used to stress, food, and probably you could be working out too much.

Hang in there. :c031:

JJay 11-19-2012 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel (Post 3679120)
This is kind of funny if you consider what you have done to your body with other stuff.

Yes, headaches are the brain readjusting, getting used to stress, food, and probably you could be working out too much.

Hang in there. :c031:

Yeah, a lot of friends and family would say, "You go to the gym for 2 or 2 and a half hours and then you drink all that vodka? Do you see how ridiculous that is?" They do make an excellent point.

DoubleBarrel 11-19-2012 08:07 PM

I did the same thing, would go fight at the gym, go home pop some percs and drink.