SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Ms (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/274933-ms.html)

sneeley 11-19-2012 01:53 PM

Ms

I was sober, miserably going to meetings, for 15 years. I started drinking again and won't stop. I am still able to go to work and do a good job but all I want to do when not working is to drink. Advice or help would be appreciated.

sothisisit 11-19-2012 01:56 PM

Welcome. This is a wonderful place for support and information.

What caused you to start drinking again?

MIRecovery 11-19-2012 02:05 PM

Welcome and there is a way out. You did it before and you can do it again. A relaspe is not forever.

A few questions:

Were you going to meetings or were you part of AA?, how many meetings weekly?, did you work the steps and how long ago?, do you have a sponsor, do you have a network of sober friends, do you have a connection to a higher power? I have found usually one of these is lacking.

Keep posting you will recieve the support you need.

FitNonDrinker 11-19-2012 02:07 PM

So sorry to hear this :c020:

I hope you can find some inspiration here. Tomorrow is a new day. Is there more you can share?

Anna 11-19-2012 02:16 PM

I'm sorry you went back to drinking. Did something happen in your life that pushed you that way? You know how to do this, so keep trying.

hypochondriac 11-19-2012 04:07 PM

Welcome to SR Sneeley :) Why were you 'miserably' sober? What do you think was missing? Glad you're here x

least 11-19-2012 04:12 PM

Welcome to SR.:) Glad you found us. There's lots of support and good advice here.

Dee74 11-19-2012 05:26 PM

Welcome Sneeley :)

I'm sorry you're miserable...I was miserable too when I got here.
I think lasting recovery is two things - being sober and being happy about that.

I hope that you'll find something here that may help you find your way to both things :)

I particularly recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach :)

D

artsoul 11-19-2012 07:45 PM

Welcome sneeley -

I experienced the same thing: I'd been sober for years and "knew better," but decided one day to have "a couple drinks." Once I did, it slowly took over my life just like it had in the past. I couldn't stop either until I came here and got involved in this community.

I don't think you have to be miserable in sobriety like you were before. You can do it differently this time, get some help for some of your underlying issues, figure out where the misery comes from and what works for you. Hope to see you around the forum!:wave:

nogard 11-19-2012 08:14 PM

Welcome sneeley :) How are you doing now?

Impurrfect 11-19-2012 08:18 PM

((sneeley)) - Welcome to SR!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy

YoungAndClean 11-19-2012 08:34 PM

Have you considered you might be suffering from depression or some other type of mental illness not even related to your alcoholism? Or some unresolved issues in your past stressing you out. It might be worth examining.

renaldo 11-19-2012 09:13 PM

15 years is a long time to be sober and miserable. Have you tried psychotherapy? Whatever you try, I wish you the best. I tried a number of therapists. The one I'm seeing now it's really clicking with. Don't know if that means he's more suited to me than the previous ones, or if it just took a while to get out of my denial to deal with my issues.