Notices

Time to get sober

Old 11-19-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time to get sober

I have been trying to get sober for 2 years now. I booked myself into rehab last year for 6 weeks and stayed sober for 7 months when i got out i was feeling great. I never really took to AA but I realise now that hanging out with my friends and the drinking culture in Scotland it was always going to be a struggle. So this year has been the year that I hit rock bottom. My Gran died who I was so close with then 2 weeks after that my dog went missing, I was drinking to extremes. My boyfriend and family struggled to deal with me. I got it together for a while then I would relapse again normally after going to a social event or even just a kiddies party where all my friends would all be drinking. My boyfriend and I or i should say ex boyfriend of 8 years have been doing up an old farmhouse quite isolated and so I found myself drinking in my car on the long road down to my house. I then was drinking at my company which I run with my brother then driving home. I said I would never do that but I just couldnt accept that I was an alcholic and putting peoples lifes at risk. So my boyfriend told me it was over and moved out I then got done for drink driving and got a 2 year ban which makes it virtually impossible to live in my farmhouse so I have moved in with my Mum. Being in court and realising what all I have lost made me finally realise that I cannot drink like other people can. So here I am the start of my recovery. Im planning on going to Australia to stay with a friend who doesnt drink for 3 months but at the moment I am just full of shame and regrets. My sobriety date is Nov 13th. x
Old 11-19-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello, and welcome.
I know the feeling of shame and regret. Regret because I couldn't stop drinking and the things I had done who were close to me. This brought on the shame.

You had some solid time before, I hope you can do it again.
Just think of where that first drink will take you and the ramifications it'll bring.

I know where you're coming from, and I hope you'll stick around here.
Lot's of people here will relate and lots of sobriety.

Best to you.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Josie,
I think you need the support of an ongoing program to keep sober. Staying sober is a daily thing. I am nearly 18 months sober with the support of SR and AA. Although I can't make it to meetings as much as I would like because of where I live I do follow the program.
There is also a very strong drinking culture in Australia.
All the very best

CaiHong
Old 11-19-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Josie. Welcome to SR.

You've had a really tough time of late, so try not to beat yourself up. You're in the right place for advice & support.

Good luck. S x
Old 11-19-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Josie

Have you considered AA meetings?

In Scotland, there are hundreds of AA meetings and they have their own newsletter/magazine. I think you can read it online too if you have a google.

It sounds like you have hot a low point, but have some plans in place to get things back on track.

Maybe before your trip you might want to try some meetings and arm yourself with as many recovery tools as you can.

Then if your tempted to drink, you can use these tools to stop yourself.

I wish you the very best x
Old 11-19-2012, 02:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! You've made a smart decision to stop drinking. Good luck in Australia.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Josie. I know that you feel terrible about your troubles, but today is a new day. And if these events can lead you to a sober future, then perhaps there is some good that can come from it. When I started trying to get sober I couldn't imagine a future without alcohol. Now I can't imagine a future with it. Life is so much better on this side. Check out AVRT (Rational Recover), SMART Recovery, AA . . . there are lots of choices to help you stay sober.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Josie

I'm sorry you had to go through all day - sadly some of us seem to like the hard way....

I agree with everyone else - supports important.
Besides joining SR do you have any plans or ideas on how to stay sober?

D
Old 11-19-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Josie!

7 months sober is a real achievement. I know you're not feeling all that positive right now, but you should be proud of those months sober.

Unless people have been through addiction, it's hard for them to understand how someone could relapse. Unfortunately it happens, and sometimes we don't see it coming. I thought I could hang out with some people who drank a lot, too, and I actually stayed sober for quite a while. I just didn't realize that the atmosphere would slowly erode my resolve over time. I'm a lot pickier about my social life now.

The important thing is that even though you're going through a lot right now, you're using this to propel you forward. That's very cool.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks I am so glad I joined this site already your support helps. Just so you all know I have a CBT therapist who is see weekly I am also on Acamprosate which my GP prescribed after I saw a psychiatrst about my cravings and anxiety it has helped immnesely as I really dont think I would have got through my court case sober without it. No offence to anyone that goes to AA but it really is not for me I did try when I was in rehab last year.
I know there is a big drinking culture in Australia but the family that I am going to live with do not drink so that will help a lot.
Thanks for all your support! Day 7 today
Old 11-20-2012, 05:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Josie! There is a November group too. I am too new(day 6 for me of no drinking) to give you any advice, and am so sorry you have had such hardships this past year.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Rochele, I guess I had to hit rock bottom before I would see sense. I will have 3 weeks of sobriety before I go to Australia and just hope the change of lifestyle will help. I plan to do voluntary work at a cat and dog home. I cannot wait to leave my hometown Aberdoom (Aberdeen) although I will miss the support I have been recieving from my family. Part of the reasons I have joined support groups online so I can follow it up when Im over there. I am 37 years old and really want to sort my life out b4 I hit the big 40!!