Notices

Not feeling well.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not feeling well.

I made a commitment to myself. After my brothers wedding, I would stop making excuses for myself for why its ok to drink. I wouldn't call myself an alchoholic, but I know I have a drinking problem. I have tried many times to quit, but always find myself with a beer in my hand eventually. It's not that I can't stop though. I can go days or weeks without wanting a drink, but once I have one, I get out of hand. I drink until I'm out, or passed out, and then I go on a binge for a while. This last week, I drank 6-12 beers a day for 14 days straight. I can't do this anymore. I'm 26, overweight, and tired of waking up with a hangover. Friday was the last night I drank, but I have felt horrible since then. I feel like I have too much energy, and I am very irritable, and panicky. I haven't slept hardly at all, and last night I didn't sleep at all. My mind is racing and my heart pounds. I'm sure the sleeping issue is because my body is so used to the booze helping me doze off, but I hate feeling like I could have a panic attack at any moment. Is this normal? Maybe I'm just not used to having energy? I hadn't felt like this before and I'm wondering if its just because I over did it these last few weeks. I've been on here before but I look forward to this being my permanent trip an staying here. Already hitting the gym after work, and am drinking a lot of water.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have you spoken to a doctor Doogie? That might be a good place to start.

Sounds like you have a problem staying stopped. Knowing the excuses you use to drink is a good start. Have you looked into any recovery stuff before. You might be able to find something to help you stay stopped. I think for many of us, just not drinking wasn't really enough x
Old 11-19-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Greetings! Welcome to SR! It sounds like you are having some withdrawal symptoms. Alcohol withdrawal can be quite dangerous so Id realy suggest getting your doctor on board to help you through. Also, it helped me a lot to put make a plan for sobriety and get some support (this forum is a good start) so that you remain sober. Best of luck...and please dont ignore your physical symptoms for too long. Your doctor really should know about this.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Doogie it's always best to seek medical advice from a Dr during detox if you have any doughts at all. Congrats on your decision to quit.
But first things first see a Dr especially if your heart doesn't feel right it's trying to tell you somathing.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

hi doogi, thanks for the post!

What you’re experiencing is alcohol withdrawal, the anxiety, panic & insomnia it’s all linked to you coming off the drink it can take some time to clear drink plenty of water take b vitamins and eat some oily fish for omega 3, I know that feeling after a heavy session that you feel like you’re just gunna lose control and have a panic attack!!
You say you’re going to the gym, exercise plays a massive part of my recovery and I would find it very hard without it, try doing some cardio maybe walking or jogging for 30 minutes as well it will get them feel good chemicals going around your body!
So know you are here whats your plan to stay stopped??
Old 11-19-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I haven't gone to the doctor as one, I can't really afford it, and two, I don't think it's too bad. I have always had anxiety issues, and the heart pounding isn't anything I haven't experienced before. I just feel very anxious, and restless. I have to keep tapping my feet, or hands and my body feels... Light. I guess that's the best way to explain it. It's been over 48 hours and I'm not having any of the serious withdraw symptoms like shaking, confusion, or sweating. Just too gittery...
Old 11-19-2012, 07:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

it should start to balance out after today. drink lots of water and have some fruit or chocolate, decaff only with a bit of sugar.

your body is used to having a lot of sugar from the booze....it might be why you are experiencing the "light" feeling. try to eat something every couple of hours, even if it's just a glass of orange juice.

you will start sleeping better soon too.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you feel better, and if you are concerned, please do see a dr.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
"Run Till U Rot"

Hang in there my brother, it will get better. I wish I could go back to your age and try agian. I've wasted decades with alcohol in the background waiting to attack. Here is your chance to learn to control your problem and build an exciting future free from regrets and humiliation. I wish you the best. The gym is a great place to be. It has helped me minimize the effects of my drinking and kept me sober for more or less 7 years. I'm a binger so it can be tricky for me. I can go for a year sober and find myself drunk, embarrassed and back to the start agian. One thing I won't do is give up. I still have my freedom to chose today and I chose sobriety. So have you and that's wonderful. Stay strong.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So this is your 3rd day of no drinking. Good for you. I get the same things that you get. It's withdrawal, (not a diagnosis, not a doctor) but do watch everything carefully, and if you need a Dr, get to one. And welcome to SR.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Day 4 and I am feeling much better. The anxiety has calmed down quite a bit and I am feeling more energized in a good way. I hit the gym last night for the first time in a very long time and felt good afterwards and I slept like a baby last night which was nice. I still feel weird at some points like everything is a little surreal, but I think that's because I don't remember what it's like to not be hungover. Thanks to everyone for the support and I'll keep chugging along. Going kayaking this weekend so that will be nice.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome. When I quit the first time(I was not drinking so much daily this time) I had a great deal of anxiety. And, while i was drinking, I experienced panic attacks or what ended up being labelled as such, and ended in the ER a couple of times. i do think I had real physical symptoms, and I think it was related to the roller coaster ride alcohol had me on. My reactions seemed heightened, in terms of nervous system response to things.

It is better this time, as I had not been drinking every day, or as much as that time.

Do see a doctor if you feel unwell, though.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doogie19 View Post
It's not that I can't stop though. .
That sounds like an addictive brain trying to convince you that you don't have a problem.

It's a common tactic that many people with drinking problems employ.

I stopped for a month in 2011 and looking back, I now know I stopped drinking...so I could continue drinking.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i'm glad to hear that you are feeling better and slept well.