Notices

clueless24

Old 11-19-2012, 03:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy clueless24

Hi everyone, wanting some advice if anyone has the time.
I have been with my boyfriend for about 8 and half years, the love of my life! We have 2 children and for the most we are a happy family.
When we first met he was drinking 4 cans every other day or so (not that bad) but now he is drinking im guessing 10 every night, now i say guessing because he hides them from me, could be more.
He knows he is an alcoholic, he knows he should quit, but he wont. His dad died last year due to alcohol reasons but he doesnt think it will happen to him or he doesnt care. One night i told him he is going to die and leave me and the kids behind devatated and his reply was "so, at least i wont be here to see it" i cried for a week!!
He already has quite a few health problems one being type 1 diabetes.
How long are we going to have with him?
Help me please!!
Thank you, clueless24
Old 11-19-2012, 04:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Clueless x Sorry you are having to deal with this. Problem is he won't recover unless he is ready. Has he ever tried to get help with his drinking before? Personally it wasn't even vaguely possible for me until I came into contact with other alcoholics. Maybe you could send him here or talk to him about maybe going to AA. You might want to repost this in the Friends and Family section too as they will have more experience of your situation x
Old 11-19-2012, 04:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for your reply, he has in the past cut down to about 6 cans two days a week, but always built it up again.
He has seen doctors but just tunes them out!
Old 11-19-2012, 04:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Doctors aren't always great at understanding alcoholism anyway. We don't drink for the reasons we shouldn't. Maybe it is best to concentrate on looking after yourself though. It'll drive you nuts trying to fix him x