Notices

New to this site

Old 11-19-2012, 02:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this site

Hi all
I started to seriously try to stop drinking back in June when i lost half my business !
Have fallen off the a couple of times since then, been sober for about a week now !
I realise the challenge is more about staying sober than just stopping drinking for a while....
Every time I fall of it makes me very ill !
I went to the AA site and filled in their questionare and answered yes to every question !
Any help or techniques for avoiding or dealing with that moment when my brain fades and all of a sudden I have a bottle in my basket would be greatly appreciated....
Old 11-19-2012, 03:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Dave

The thing that helped me stop buying booze was AVRT (Google Rational Recovery). It didn't help me with the maintenance though as I felt that I really needed face to face support from other alcoholics so I started going to AA. I found it so hard to just stop drinking that I am willing to do whatever necessary to stop me drinking again. Just keep doing what needs to be done and hang around SR lots. You'll get lots of support and ideas here x
Old 11-19-2012, 04:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Dave. It's good to have you here. This place is a fantastic source of support.

You're right that the challenge is staying sober rather than stopping for a while. I had many attempts at sobriety before it really stuck. I honestly think that finding this site made the difference. Like Hypo has mentioned, it also pointed me in the direction of AVRT and that could really help you in situations where you find bottles in your basket. It'll help you understand why it got there.

Stay strong and congratulations on your week.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome and congratulations on your week.
Support was key for me. Support from other people who were doing what I was doing and could guide me through the pitfalls is I didn't have to make the same mistakes. For me, I went to AA. I could not have stayed sober without meetings and fellowships.
This site also helps people a lot. There is some long term recovery on here.
The key, in my opinion, is not to try it alone. Seems like it just makes it harder
Old 11-19-2012, 05:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Lots of things happen first before that bottle 'ends up' in the shopping cart, and they are all available to your awareness. Just as there is no magic or mystery in that event, there is no secret trick to getting and staying sober.

What did it for me was making that solemn vow to never drink again, not just hoping at some vague future goal. That meant that this vow was in operation all the time, every moment, and not just the hungover ones. I needed to become mindful of my actions around alcohol, and aware of my feelings and emotions as they happened. This awareness let me bring the urge into focus where I could recognize it and separate what I needed to do from the desire to be drunk.

Are you ready to make a plan for continuing to use alcohol?
Old 11-19-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for your replies
I have visited the AVRT site and like it

I can remeber around the end of September i hadn;t drunk for 3 months... I went downstairs into my front room where my son had left a half bottle of vodka.... IT said to me woohoo what a surprise you can drink that right now, then you will have to go to the shops & buy another bottle to replace what you've drunk AND then can you drink the rest of that.....

I cant remember what happened for a week after that !!!!

I dont think i am quite cured tho as i am wondering whether to go back there again !
Old 11-19-2012, 06:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Dave - not quite wanting to quit for good or not quite accepting we have a problem are pretty common.

Joining this community helped me work out what was what - I hope we can help you do that too

D
Old 11-19-2012, 06:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Glad your here Dave
Old 11-19-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Dave!

I have found this site to be so supportive, and I am very grateful for the people on here. Looking forward to getting to know you!
Old 11-19-2012, 06:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

((Dave)) - Welcome to SR!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-19-2012, 06:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Dave!
Old 11-20-2012, 01:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi and welcome Dave - not quite wanting to quit for good or not quite accepting we have a problem are pretty common.

Joining this community helped me work out what was what - I hope we can help you do that too

D
Hi Dee I think my brain may well be addled, yes I know I have a problem & yes I know I need to stop forever...

What I meant was after visiting the AVRT site, I made the commitment, but feel I may need to go there again to remake that commitment a few times before I believe it is really possible....

Thankyou all for your replies