Notices

anybody been to a PHP ?

Old 11-18-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question anybody been to a PHP ?

due to my chronic illnesses & the resulting pain...depression...anger...& anxiety ..... all of which led to my daily self medicating with booze (and feeling that im tired of living due to these illnesses) i was thinking of looking into a PHP (partial hospitalization program).

so far i only know that i would spend about 6 hours per day, 5 days per week, at the facility. lasts up to 4 weeks.

id love to hear from anyone who has any experience with this type of program.

danka!
Old 11-18-2012, 07:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Isn't that essentially outpatient rehab? I'd never heard the term PHP so I looked it up and it's described as intensive outpatient rehab.

If so I've read many talking about it but they may not know it as PHP.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Zanz, yes you are right. I just heard my local MD's refer to it as PHP so many times, I just thought that's what everyone called it
Old 11-19-2012, 11:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can sure relate to chronic pain and how depressing it is in the long-term. I also self-medicated with alcohol when I felt I had nowhere else to turn. Big mistake! When you think things can't get any worse, they can.

I think if you feel the program would help you and your dr recomments it, then maybe it's a good idea.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome. Any type of help is a good idea as long as you are ready. People get sober in many different ways. Try some things, find what you like and commit to staying sober. Your commitment is key to any program.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I did in patient rehab, and it gave me a good foot hold on sobriety before being released back into the world.

We had daily checks of vitals, blood pressure etc; and any other medical concerns such as in your case, daily AA meetings, group counselling, one on one counselling for those needing it. Essentially learning sobriety tools and how to use them, once it's over it will be up to you to carry on using these tools.

I'm really glad I had to opportunity to do it. I would think Out patient rehab would be quite similar. I think it's really good you have the opportunity to do it.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thanks u guys. im doing pretty well (not 100%) on my road to sobriety but i think i will fail miserably & often if i dont call in the big guns.

the program i looked at today is all group..all day....every day. i know i need some intensive individual work (more than what im getting now at weekly therapy).

startin to wonder if inpatient wud be more beneficial. just dont want a ton of drugs pumped into me.... cuz "me" is an ok gal. she just needs some support.