Notices

Crate and Barrel catalog

Old 11-18-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Crate and Barrel catalog

Has anyone else browsed through the Crate and Barrel holiday catalog that came in the mail and noticed the abundance of images of people drinking? I understand that people do enjoy cocktails over the holidays, but this is ridiculous! There is so much drinking portrayed that it is actually making me wonder. I just looked through and counted 20 pages out of 63 either selling alcohol related products or showing people with drink in hand. Some of the catch phrases used are also disturbing to me, like, "Break bread, Drink Red", and "Uncork and Unwind". The worst for me is the 2 page layout featuring scotch whiskey entitled, "Grandpa and Grandson: Bridge the generation gap with an evening of shared memories and new takes on the cocktail classics." The image of grand dad and grandson drinking is just sad to me.

I realize there are plenty of people who can have a few cocktails during special occasions and have that be that, but this catalog just makes it appear that everyone is drinking, it is normal and harmless, when that could not be further from the truth. Are these annoyances all because I had a problem with drinking or is the push to drink by corporations and media stronger these days?
Old 11-18-2012, 07:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Song,
I was taken back by all the alcohol, glasses , table settings, parties etc in the Pottery Barn catalog too. I absolutely think there is a stronger marketing push these days. Can't believe the one you're describing between grandfather and grandson - not good!
Old 11-18-2012, 07:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I used to see booze everywhere and dealers on every corener in early days. Does not matter about what I saw or thought I saw, thing is I dont notice anymore.

It changes over time and time is made up of days, therefore it changes each day.