Notices

Anyone ever hired an attorney to expunge a DUI/DWI before?

Old 11-18-2012, 06:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

Anyone ever hired an attorney to expunge a DUI/DWI before?

Hi, first off. mods if this is not the correct place to post such a thread, i apologize and please delete/move it. I just was wondering if anyone has expunged a dui/dwi, can you private message me about the details, like what state you live in, what the charge was, and how much you had to pay the attorney. I'm thinking I might do this and wipe the slate clean ya know?

-Y&C
Old 11-18-2012, 06:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

Do you mean you were charged with a DUI and you want it wiped from your record? I live in Massachusetts and I believe we're one of the tougher states when it comes to DUIs due to "Melanie's Law". I got a DUI in 2004. I stupidly got another one in 2010. I hired a lawyer for my 2nd DUI because the POSSIBLE penalties were scary. Up to a $10,000 fine, up to 2 years in jail, etc, etc. I got a lawyer through a friend and he gave me a discounted price of $1,500. That was $1,500 well wasted. I got the same exact punishment that people who didn't hire a lawyer did: 2 years probation, mandatory 2 week inpatient program, I think somewhere around $1000 in fines, 2 year loss of license.

Hope this helps a little but it's drastically different state to state. And in MA your DUIs can be looked up for life.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

Wow dude MA sounds like a real b***** when it comes to forgiveness. I got a wet reckless in California like 3-4 years ago and haven't been it trouble since so I might look into this. Thanks for the warning not to waste money on layers to do nothing man. 2nd dui better never come, what a b*****.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

Originally Posted by YoungAndClean View Post
Wow dude MA sounds like a real b***** when it comes to forgiveness. I got a wet reckless in California like 3-4 years ago and haven't been it trouble since so I might look into this. Thanks for the warning not to waste money on layers to do nothing man. 2nd dui better never come, what a b*****.
I finished up my probation but still haven't got my license back. It's going to cost thousands to get it back. I also have to have a breathalyzer installed in my car ($375 installation fee) and then pay a $65 fee each month to have it. Soooo excited.

A young 12 or 13 year old girl named Melanie was killed by a drunk driver in MA a in the mid 2000's. Her family fought and fought and fought to get tougher drunk driving laws and did. Hence, "Melanie's Law". So yeah, it's strict.

I've heard story about how in the 80's and 90's cops would pull over drunk driver's and just give them a ride home!
Old 11-19-2012, 07:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I sent you a pm. But I had 2 reckless op. one in TX and Cali..

Been arrested for 4 dui's in Ohio. Bet one. So I have three on my record. Here they count every 6 years as far as consecutive. I had 2 within 6 and 3 with 20 years. They never go off your record.

I lost my car. 5 k in court fines.(with one charge) , radom drug/alcohol screening 2 years, license suspended 2 years. 2.5 k license re enstatment fee, County jail 30 days. plus lawyers. Same as above its really pretty much the same now adays everywhere. A LOT OF MONEY and TIME.

Almost everyone gets sent to AA , I never did. I am there today off my own accord.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry, I really do not think that they will expunge a dui anymore. All the states got really tough on this. I have a dui, took it to court based on "fearing for my life". Went up to the appeal level. The prosecutor even agreed with the stipulation of "fearing for my life", but still was convicted of dui, because I drove at least 1 mile more than I had to, to get to a safe place.

I had a 7 month suspension, $1500 fine, and about $8000 in lawyer fees.

I really can't even b!tch about this, because then it might have let a lot of drunk drivers off, if I had won that case.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How to Expunge Your DUI / DWI – Can You Get a DUI Off Your Record In All 50 United States?
Old 11-19-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

wow, thanks for the info, but in my state I could never afford to go back to court for this, but very enlighening.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

I live in CA and have a feelin I could get my wet reckless expunged because it was 3+ years ago and I haven't been in trouble since. It's just a question of, do I need a lawyer, I so, how much is this gonna cost me?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

From what Tom had posted, it looks like you can try that. I would suggest a lawyer, they do have free consultations, and if you don't like what he says, you don't have to hire him