Notices

First Post

Old 11-18-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Post

Hello all, just found this forum today and have been reading a ton of information.

I am a self diagnosed alcoholic. I have always been a drinker, but the last five or so years it has been out of control. I drink every day; not all day, only in the evenings. Usually it is whiskey and water starting around five until bed time. It is starting to cause issues with my wife as I will often sleep walk in the night and do dumb stuff that I never remember.

I would so like to stop, but am scared too. On nights that my first drink is delayed, I will have an odd anxiety type of feeling in my stomach and my hands will sometimes shake. Oddly enough, on evenings that I know that I can't have a drink until 7 or 8, if I drink coffee it helps with those feelings.

I was being pretty successful on cutting back for a while (limiting to only one an hour) but I found that the amount of alcohol vs water was increasing and recently I have been cheating on this and having more than one an hour.

I just don't know where to start to quit and like I said, I am really afraid that I'll have withdrawals or not be able to sleep or whatever.

Hoping someone here can help and give some advice please?

Thanks.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just want to say welcome and keep with us.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Medic. This place has been invaluable to me - I never thought I'd have the courage to quit until I came here.

Drinking for me started out innocently enough. I loved the comforting feeling, and it helped with shyness. Many years later, it totally ran my life. I was completely dependent on it and couldn't make a move without it. It happens over time, and few of us see it coming.

I'm sure you'll find loads of great advice and encouragement here. For me, just knowing I wasn't alone made all the difference. We are with you as you start this journey.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I think you are finding that trying to control your drinking is very tiring and unrewarding. I was exhausted and so glad to just finally stop. It's always best to talk to your dr before detoxing from alcohol because it can be very dangerous. And, know for sure, that you can do this!
Old 11-18-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome medic

Some great advice here - I definitely recommend speaking with a doctor first.
You'll find a lot of support & encouragement here

D
Old 11-18-2012, 12:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hevyn: Thanks so much. My drinking started very much the same way.

Thanks for the other advice also about seeking medical help. I live in a fairly small town and am in the medical profession. There is no way that I could see someone local because even with confidentiality laws, people still talk.

When you guys quit, what types of physical feelings did you have? That's what I'm most worried about. Mentally I think I could do it, but am worried about pain or other stuff.

Thanks,
Old 11-18-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a pretty harrowing read in parts but it might be useful to you Medic:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

D
Old 11-18-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Medical help is required. People have done it alone, it is a walk in the parc. But life gets so much better!!!!!!!!
Old 11-18-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dee74: My Lord! I'm glad that you sent me that forum link, but now I'm scared even more LOL. I will most likely find someone away from where I live for medical advice. This is scary.......
Old 11-18-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't mean to scare you - not everyone has trouble - but I did...& it can be very serious indeed.

If you weren't sure about seeking medical advice, I definitely recommend it

D
Old 11-18-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Welcome medic0011!

I third (fourth?) the doctor recommendation. Even if you have to travel to find one, it's worth it. They can answer your questions/ help you with withdrawal, sleep issues, etc.

Quitting heavy drinking can be scary, I know, I did it myself, but it is doable & worth it.

Stay around some...

TB
Old 11-18-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Medic.
It can be done.
Reading and posting here is a great start.

You do have to quit though, the moderation thing is not sustainable.
I remember having an enormous wine glass.......