Notices

last night = bad decision

Old 11-18-2012, 05:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

last night = bad decision

last night, my husband & I looking forward to our week away at the beach were actually talking nicely in the kitchen. I got the bright idea to have a beer..now, I don't like beer but it seemed a good alternative to wine which I gave up on July 25, 2012..slowly I bought into the idea that a beer wasn't really drinking...bad decision two beers later....I am so mad at myself..I feel like absolute crap physically this morning..all my anger issues came up last night after the two beers..I didn't sleep well, I dreamed about my anger last night,etc,etc,etc...I look at myself in the mirror this morning and I look like a drunk two beers...two beers and I don't even like the taste of beer...I know I just need to pick myself up and dust off but I am so ashamed of myself..two beers! Help me!
Old 11-18-2012, 05:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good you stopped at two! I never can. Get back onto your plan and just don't do it again. You still have all those months sober under your belt. Don't take that away from yourself. That is great.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Alcohol is alcohol no matter how it's packaged. Perhaps this will be a positive event to prove to you why you can't drink again. Keep moving forwards x
Old 11-18-2012, 09:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

myoldself,

I'm really sorry to hear what happened. That's unfortunate, but please pick yourself back up and keep on with recovery. Maybe this experience was necessary in order to learn that you definitely cannot drink (and that includes ANY alcohol no matter what it is) like normal people. You slipped. That's all. Just forgive yourself and move on. Today can be another day of recovery just like it was before you drank that beer the other night. You may not realize it, but your post has helped me too in that I know what I will be facing if I decide to stop with my recovery program and wander off into drinking again.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's never too late to start over with your sobriety. Many of the people you see posting here today just started or restarted their journey this month, this past week even (I'm one of them). You'll beat this. The horrid experience you just went through will be the armor you need that will get you through the next social drinking conflict. Stay strong!
Old 11-18-2012, 09:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with everyone above. You stopped at two beers, you are back on here today, and maybe last night will help you deal with any anger issues you still have to work through. You have many sober months, and today you start again.

I am on day 38 after too many day ones, and I didn't have the sense to get back on here right away.

Hang in there today.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with hypo.

I thought that I could have a few beers. I thought, better than liquor. WRONG. Meh, we all learn from our mistakes. Don't be too hard on yourself just know that you should abstain from beer as well. No worries. Glad you are back with us and talking. Thank you for posting!
Old 11-18-2012, 09:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i have been through the same thing so many times. try not to be too hard on yourself. it's great that you stopped at 2 and that you realize today that alcohol doesn't work for you. you can do this. alcohol is a very tricky little f@cker that will do all kinds of things to try to get us to think we can have it. today you just start again and don't beat yourself up over yesterday. i'm on day 5 after lapsing from my sobriety for nearly a year, and i can't believe how much better i feel already. dust yourself off and try again. we all have your back! hugs
Old 11-18-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thank you everyone...these are the words I needed to hear...I'm grateful for each and every one of you....i'm up and trying again..hopefully lesson learned.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yep don't get too upset. I went 4 months then crashed and thought I could control it and just have a few every now and then. Friday night was a big session and I lost control so now realize that it is not something I can control. Everything that has been bad in my life has been caused by alcohol. Don't beat yourself up, recognize that it was a poor decision, and jump back onto the wagon. If you never drink again then it was the best 2 beers you had!
Old 11-18-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've been trying to quit lately and have had a few slip ups this past month that left me feeling just as you do. Its just more motivation for me to stick with it, in hopes that ill end up with a life that doesn't require alcohol to feel good/normal. You are definitely not alone and not the only one that has felt this way after a minor slip up, keep striving and stick with it!
Old 11-18-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

another trick of the mind, they are clever things those minds of ours. yep a hard lesson learnt, gave up on that excuse ages ago, cus two turned into ten an had presto got just as drunk may have taken alittle longer but need to run the loo alot more an had an uncomfortable fat bloated belly.
so dont feel to bad a least you stopped at two, showed your will power kicked in better late than never. no point beating yourself up, whats done is done, just brush yourself off an carry on.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think it sounds like a good learning experience that will be very useful in the back of your mind if the urge, thought or whatever 'opportunity' for a drink comes along ..... And luckily it was only the two. (I don't think I could have shut it off at two - good for you!)
Old 11-18-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank goodness no one else here has ever made a bad decision. I once decided to taper and I was tapering 2o years later.