Notices

Has anyone else been in my situation?

Old 11-17-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Member. As someone more than twice your age, I'd like to say - please be careful. At 25 the idea of not drinking seemed impossible. I was almost always out of control every time I drank - but wanted to believe if I tried hard enough to use willpower, I could moderate and just have a few. That never happened. By the time I finally admitted I couldn't touch it, my life was in chaos. It took me years to rebuild all the things I had torn down with my destructive drinking habits.

I think it's great that you're questioning your behavior and looking for solutions. Please keep posting.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Originally Posted by Member View Post
I am absolutely terrified of antidepressants because, without wishing to be arrogant, I am quite academically gifted and am so fearful that they would dull my mental faculties.

Another difficulty with my situation is that I travel around a LOT and am rarely in the same place for very long, which makes attending AA meetings or regular counselling sessions rather difficult.
If you do your research you will find most addicts and alcoholics like myself take some anti-depressants , and they are non narcotic. As for dulling your senses they dont, but drinking sure does.

And hate to break the news to ya but I have traveled around the world and everywhere I have been there are meetings. Go figure drunks everywhere.

Dont let yourself fall into being terminally unique.

You can be free.