Notices

Sober, but not happy

Old 11-17-2012, 12:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober, but not happy

Well, as some of you know, I slipped on Monday and I have been beating myself up about since. I've been sober, but not nearly as happy as I was when I started pursuing sobriety last week. Last week I was on a kind of high from being sober and in such a good mood. This week, just blah. Although I'm always in a better place and a much more pleasant person sober, inside I just feel guarded and unsure of if i even deserve sobriety. Anyway, I have downloaded a scheduling app for my pc and have now built a full schedule for next week to keep me busy including work and working out. I just don't want to slip up again...
Old 11-17-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sobriety does not bring hapiness it brings sobriety. The happiness is another journey. I know a number of sober unhappy people. I deal with a number of issues including depression but drinking never cure it only covered it.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How could someone not deserve sobriety? That's daft Badger, of course you deserve it! It is okay not to be happy about it though, sometimes hard work and vigilance doesn't always create a state of constant happiness. Blissful ignorance however can, that's the one to watch out for x
Old 11-17-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by badger1172 View Post
Although I'm always in a better place and a much more pleasant person sober, inside I just feel guarded and unsure of if i even deserve sobriety.
Here's a part of the problem. Why do you feel like you don't "deserve" sobriety?
Old 11-17-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by choublak View Post
Here's a part of the problem. Why do you feel like you don't "deserve" sobriety?
To be honest, I don't know. I think maybe because I've let this drinking go on for so long now (20+ years)...I really don't know. Like I say, I'm just in a funky mood this time around. It'd be great if a I could magically get back to how good I felt last week before I screwed my recovery up.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

But you didn't screw up your recovery.