Notices

I think I have a drinking problem

Old 11-18-2012, 07:33 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I never really understood the going to another town to attend an AA meeting. I didn't do that to stumble out of a bar. The way I look at it...If I run into someone I know there...They are there for the same reason I am...To learn to live without alcohol. Sounds like a friendship in the making to me.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
I never really understood the going to another town to attend an AA meeting. I didn't do that to stumble out of a bar. The way I look at it...If I run into someone I know there...They are there for the same reason I am...To learn to live without alcohol. Sounds like a friendship in the making to me.
You are brave, Sapling. I just finished watching that YouTube thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP0InrPZpjg . Two of the alcoholics in the movie died. It was very motivating for me to stop drinking while I still can
Old 11-18-2012, 10:35 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Junebugapril View Post
Hi Sasha,
I I am realizing that I hate the label ALCOHOLIC. I am more comfortable saying I have a drinking problem. I can easily admit to that. But saying "Hi I'm Junebug, and I am an Alcoholic" is just plain scary to me. It gives me the creeps. Semantics don't matter. What matters is my desire to stop drinking. I finally admit I have a problem. That's something to be proud of. At least it's a first baby step.
Junebugapril
If I am honest, I don't tell anyone.
I see that it is my battle, my fight, my problem.
It's not that I am ashamed I would just rather keep it as my business.

When I stopped drinking and watch people around you drink at functions etc I realised that no-one drank like me anyway. Some had one or two glasses others had a few pints. They all drink a lot slower than I did and a lot less. It was quite an eye opener really.

If anyone asks why I am not drinking I simply say I have set myself a target of no alcohol for a year.

Nobody really asks anymore now
Old 11-18-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

That's what i'm doing too. Instead of saying I have a drink problem so can't drink I am just saying I don't feel like a drink or I have an early start. I have been without alcohol for 5 days now and don't feel I can handle all the questions and possibly from my drinking friends you don't have a drink problem yet. This is my battle and I will fight it my way? My husband knows as he asked me to stop? Well I've tried many times before unsuccessfully but when he said it was making him unhappy too I knew I had to do something about it? You see I've been unhappy with drinking for years I just must have needed to hear it from him xx
Old 11-18-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Yeah, in the past(and it will be my plan moving forward), I just say I am cutting back, trying to be more healthy, lose weight, etc... Early start, yes, all of that. I would rather not bring on an extended discussion in the midst of a social event where others are enjoying it.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:22 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I can't deal with everyone having an opinion on my life. I know what I need to do and I know how hard it is so best to keep it simple. I think xx
Old 11-18-2012, 05:13 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I am so happy to have found this forum. Are there any threads you might suggest I join?
Thanks for everything.

Scorecard - days since Wednesday

Me 4, Wine 1 (I had one slip on Friday. No wine Saturday or Sunday!)
Old 11-18-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

i admitted to myself for the first time 2 months ago that i was an alcaholic. i thought i had control until i learnt that this is a progressive illness and only gets worse, like you i doubted if i was alcahol dependant or not, each day thinking that i didn,t have a problem and i will drink and stop the next day. (there was never a next day ), If you are starting to question yourself and are worried , then i think you have your answer, acceptance is hard , but the day i walked into AA 2 months ago was the best day of my life. for me and for my kids. xx Hope you find your answer. x
Old 11-18-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sm75 View Post
i admitted to myself for the first time 2 months ago that i was an alcaholic. i thought i had control until i learnt that this is a progressive illness and only gets worse, like you i doubted if i was alcahol dependant or not, each day thinking that i didn,t have a problem and i will drink and stop the next day. (there was never a next day ), If you are starting to question yourself and are worried , then i think you have your answer, acceptance is hard , but the day i walked into AA 2 months ago was the best day of my life. for me and for my kids. xx Hope you find your answer. x
Thanks for sharing that, SM, that was really helpful to hear. I am glad AA is helping you. I am getting closer to going to a meeting.

Is this crazy? I am thinking a meeting will be a trigger and make me want to drink. Just typing it is making me crave a drink.

Going to go get the bag of chocolate chips now
Old 11-18-2012, 06:19 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

June>AA

You will never know till you give it a try, the first night i went i came out with a feeling i had never felt before and i so wanted to be alcahol free. (i have been since) In a way its hard because you have to listen to other people,s misfortunes to get the picture of what alcahol can do to a person/persons life,I get so much from meetings,I identify with other people,s share,s. i see i,m not the only one that feels this way and i,m not alone, i come out feeling i,m in cloud 9 and most of all i,m grateful for the chance of soberiety and made great friends that are a phone call away if i want to talk and they genuinely care for my wellbeing, The most important thing i learnt is... if i dont take that first drink.. i cant get drunk.. and take it one day at a time. I wish you well xx AA is like a medicine for me
Old 11-19-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

These terms are coming back to me. One day at a time. H.A.L.T. I frequently drink because I am hungry, angry, lonely, tired.

It seems like the early cravings are the hardest to deal with. Before dinner. I really want a drink to relax. During dinner. Right after dinner. I am lonely. I want to fill a void with booze.

I am on the first chapter of the Big Book Online. The line Bill told his wife, "Men of genius create their best works when drunk" really pulled me into his story.

I hope I can do this. I think I can stop drinking. Thanksgiving really scares me. I think I will want to drink. There will be people there that don't drink much but they will drink on holidays. If I start drinking I will get trashed. I can't drink at all. That scares me.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

This was my first post here, the first thread I started. I am so glad to still be sober. So thankful to all of you that have been here for me.

On Day 12, I am still a little shaky, but much better than I was the day I started this thread. Who is still on board?
Old 11-28-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Congratulations on 12 days. Almost two weeks. I remember those early milestones, when every day after a week was an accomplishment because I hadn't gone a week sober in 30 years.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Good for you on 12 days - that's great! I know what you mean about still feeling shaky. It took a while for me to feel like I had solid ground under my feet, to feel secure/"normal" in sobriety.

Remember you only have to deal with staying sober today. Be good to yourself and know that you can do it!
Old 11-28-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Awesome job on 12 days, June.

Seems like you are making good progress.