Notices

I am 2 weeks sober and sooooo fatigued!!

Old 11-17-2012, 04:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am 2 weeks sober and sooooo fatigued!!

Is this normal? I mean I thought I'd feel better, not worse but I haven't felt this exhausted outside of pregnancy and flu. Is this level of fatigue normal? I wasn't expecting it. I was a moderate to heavy drinker (1 bottle of wine daily that had started to creep up) and had very minor withdrawals lasting a week and consisting mainly of sleep disturbance and some agitation. I am literally so fatigued that I am dragging my body around as if its full of lead. Anyone else experience this? Many thanks.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I did. I had times where it was a such a struggle walking up the steps to my front door. I don't know the reason behind it, but it got better. I was sure to eat a balanced diet, fruits and veggies, lots if water, and take a multi-vitamin with iron ... I don't know if that helped me or not, but I figured it wouldn't hurt!

Eventually, my body got "normal" again. But if you're concerned and not noticing improvement, maybe check in with your doc .. consultation, bloodwork, etc.

Congrats on the sobriety, btw!
Old 11-17-2012, 04:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Dangar1971 and welcome. I too have experienced bad fatigue when Ive stopped drinking. What I believed helped me was a little excercise (even a brisk walk or two), b complex vitamins and vitamin c, calcium and magnesium at night, essential fatty acids, and LOTS of water and a good diet to replenish myself with nutrients. I have also learned to take in easy on myself in the beginning and to take nice long baths, read a good book, allow myself to be a little lazy for a short while. Best of luck to you! And I do agree with the above post...i have gotten numerous bloodwork tests done and such and keep my doc informed about everything to make sure there is nothing else going on that im not sure about. He also approved any and all supplements I was/am taking.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, I experienced fatigue, lack of interest in doing much of anything. It lasted 10 to 12 weeks, plus, slowly lifting. It does go away. It gets better, much better. Hang in there.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am sober 40 days, and I am so tired I can hardly stand it, but I also have sleep apnea which doesn't help matters! I hope it gets better for ya, hang in there!
Old 11-17-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm very tired and 'heavy' and I was expecting a quicker recovery. I'm glad you asked this as it seems I need patience. Most if my weekends are just lolling around watching movies, taking baths and reading.

S x
Old 11-17-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with everyone on the fatigue...I am 76 days sober and really just started getting more and more energy. If you're like most of us...getting a good nights sleep is very difficult during early sobriety, making it even tougher. This does pass, some quicker then others, some a little longer.

Hang in there! Rest as much as possible, your body is detoxing and healing itself from all the damage alcohol has caused.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome dangar

Normal for me too - I think we can underestimate the amount of damage we did as drinkers to our mind and body - we have to give ourselves a chance to heal.

Look after yourself, eat well, get rest - it will get better

D
Old 11-23-2012, 04:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your replies. I feel so much less alone. Unfortunately I've caved in to the devil since and am back drinking again. I'm a single mum with a special needs child and I know that's not an excuse (he's challenging but I love him to the moon and back!) but recent events including my ex refusing to pay spousal maintenance has kicked me over the edge again. I'm seeing an alcohol counsellor next week. What are people's experiences with aa? I'm a bit sceptical is I'm not religious. Thx all xx
Old 11-23-2012, 06:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey there. Good for you for seeing a counsellor. That is a great step. I wish I did it long ago. (I'm seeing one for the first time next week too.) I have been going to AA for about a month-and-a-half. I am shy and have a hard time speaking to people I don't know, so I was a bit worried at first, but it turned out to be very welcoming and relaxed. I don't speak up (yet), but I do enjoy listening and slowly getting to know some faces. I'm also not religious (I am spiritual, however).

It is a very supportive atmosphere. At first, I didn't know what to think of reciting the prayer with everyone at the end of the meeting (you don't have to recite it), but have found that it reinforces overall support for me, and reminds me that I'm not alone. I like that.

Hope all goes well for you. Keep on posting!
Old 11-23-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dangar1971 View Post
Thank you everyone for your replies. I feel so much less alone. Unfortunately I've caved in to the devil since and am back drinking again. I'm a single mum with a special needs child and I know that's not an excuse (he's challenging but I love him to the moon and back!) but recent events including my ex refusing to pay spousal maintenance has kicked me over the edge again. I'm seeing an alcohol counsellor next week. What are people's experiences with aa? I'm a bit sceptical is I'm not religious. Thx all xx
Hi Dangar I don't have experience with AA but it's worked for a lot of my mates - even the atheists.

There are other options tho - SMART is a secular based alternative to the 12 steps.

SMART Recovery Australia |

What I do have experience with is trying to deal with my problems by drinking.

It doesn't work - and you'd know that too.

Support really helps - hope it goes well with the counsellor

D
Old 11-23-2012, 12:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Dangar, I am 2 weeks sober and sooooo fatigued!! You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. It really does get better with time, hang in there.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Danger,

Hang in there and don't dwell on the relapse. I can't count what number try this is for me but I am determined for it to last (40 days so far). I am not religious either, and there are many alternatives that can give you guidence and a plan for the future.

Meeting with a counsler is a good start. Try reading, being on SR has occupied my time and opened up alot of ideas for improvement.

Great thoughts,

Toss