Notices

Why on earth?

Old 11-16-2012, 05:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why on earth?

Why would being sick cause me to crave alcohol? I feel like absolute crap- achy, freezing cold, and sore throat.

I am not even entertaining the thought, but it irks me that it occurred to me.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When I was drinking heavily, I never really got sick. Probably because I was always to messed up to notice. I used to use alcohol when I was sick, or had a headache to get over it. Ridiculous I know.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You nailed my line of thinking. I know it would make it worse. I am drinking hot tea
Old 11-16-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been under the weather for a couple of days - much better today. Anyway, it reminded me of how I would drink wine even when I was sick....telling myself it was good for a sore throat!!!! This time around, extra fluids and hubby's homemade veg. soup
Old 11-16-2012, 05:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

For 20 years whenever I felt bad, I wanted to drink.
I think being sick and having cravings is pretty normal for a lot of us.

I never feel that way anymore so there is an end to it

D
Old 11-16-2012, 06:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 View Post
Why would being sick cause me to crave alcohol? I feel like absolute crap- achy, freezing cold, and sore throat.

I am not even entertaining the thought, but it irks me that it occurred to me.
From the viewpoint of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Homeopathy, it would be argued that the liver, kidneys, and other organs have "memory" of past abuse and when the immune system is taxed by cold/flu, what have you, those "memories", i.e. latent toxicity, would be pushed outward as part of the total healing process and that is a good thing.

No idea, obviously, if that has anything to do with you but interesting to contemplate...
Old 11-16-2012, 06:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Being sick just lowers our resistance to everything. It passes, just looka fter yourself, ie.e dont pick up, look after you physically menatally and spiritually
Old 11-16-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, if you're sick and you're gonna be in bed anyway, drinking can help you get to sleep sometimes. It probably prolongs being sick, though.

I had a friend who was a heavy pot smoker. He got sick, but he kept smoking large amounts of pot and said, "I don't understand. When you get sick you're supposed to get better." Well, duh.

I hardly ever get sick (as in flu or cold). I can't even recall the last time. Probably somewhere in the vicinity of 7-10 years ago.

I heard a woman talking at a meeting and she said she was the same way. When she stopped drinking, she caught some bug and her alcoholic voice said to her, 'this never happened when you were drinking. You should go back to drinking.'

Of course, catching a bug probably had nothing to do with whether she was drinking or not. Just the luck of the draw. Or maybe she was out more often being around people and exposed to more germs, rather than isolating at home.

Someone else posted a while ago about how being sick was kind of fun. Speaking for myself, it sort of is. It gives me an excuse to just lie in bed and do nothing. It's not something I think about, though. I've been blessed with good pioneer stock, which I've done my damnedest to undo.

I really didn't think I would live into my 30's due to my vices, and yet here I am 49 years old. I am paying for my escapist lifestyle and amazed that I'm still here.