Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

want some feedback regarding when/time being around others who drink

Notices

want some feedback regarding when/time being around others who drink

Old 11-16-2012, 10:08 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fernaceman View Post
Yeah. I guess I am currently making that choice. I guess I am the one who put myself in the position of no longer beig acceptable to drink, so others should t have to tippy toe around me just to appease me. Quite frankly, I get pissed if people around me don't drink because of my "situation." What I didn't mention earlier is these people had just buried their father an hour prior to that.

Wtf that is such self centered thinking yet again making everything all about me. Glad I do, however, consciously have the choice to NOT drink now. Before, it wasn't even an option.

I have same feeling in that people shouldn't have to modify their behavior because of my alcoholism. I should clarify, I'm not actively seeking to go out to the bars or anything of the such, just some frustration in that if friends do ask me out,the best choice for me if drinking is involved is to pass. I also think part of it is that I'm ashamed of myself/ embarrassed and "don't want people to know" I'm an alcoholic, and by telling people I can't be around drinking essentially I'm admitting that to my friends. however I'm sure my friends that have been around me the past few years all have made that conclusion.

thank you again for the feedback, grateful I found this site and sought out advice for this for those whom have been in recovery/ sober much longer than I and are willing to share their experience.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have same feeling in that people shouldn't have to modify their behavior because of my alcoholism.
I felt that way too - but I was quite prepared to modify my behaviour to fit in with them, even tho I knew it was destroying me.

I had a lot of drinking buddies...nothing ever changed there...but true friends will support you, they will even make changes on their own initiative...without being asked.

D