Notices

Back on track

Old 11-16-2012, 05:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back on track

I gave into pressures from my husband and friends to drink at the end of August and then of course didn't come back to this site..... Today is day 5 of absolutely no drinking! There were a lot of days where I would only have a couple of drinks and then reward myself on the weekends by having lots of drinks..... hind sight that sounds really stupid... I feel great and know that alcohol is not what I need to be happy. So I start again and will post everyday and be proud of my progress.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you are back! Congrats on day 5! Keep posting....the support here is great Stay proud!
Old 11-16-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back x
Old 11-16-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

welcome Back- sounds like a good move
Old 11-16-2012, 02:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back
what are you going to do about the pressures this time, humiliated?

D
Old 11-16-2012, 07:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back! I originally joined under a different name, then signed up again in March and posted once in September. October 11th was the night I knew I needed to take a serious step.

Worked with my insurance, went to some classes and have been on here daily. It has not been easy, but I wouldn't be on day 36 without the accountability of checking in here daily, and the support from everyone on here.

Glad you are back, looking forward to getting to learning more about you.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Glad you're sober and back with us!
Old 11-16-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad you're back! I'm interested on your thoughts about being around people who still drink. I have two sisters I'm very close to and they drink a lot. I often feel pressure from them. I don't think they intentionally try to pressure me, it just happens. Sadly, I've given in many, many times...
Old 11-16-2012, 09:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

One thing I have learned in recovery is that I now have choices. No one can make me drink or use that is my choice. When I was in active addiction I used pressure, situations, and feelings as an excuse to drink or use. Now when those things come up I choose not to drink or use. That the difference between active addiction and addiction. I'm still an addict but I choose not to be in active addiction!! Good luck and god bless!!!
Old 11-16-2012, 09:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Welcome back! I think the single biggest thing that's helped me is to stop seeing drinks as a reward so you're on the right track! You have to find other ways to reward yourself-it's not easy, but it's really worth it! No other "reward" can land you in the ER or a cruiser...
Old 11-19-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What I am doing now

Dee- you asked what I am going to do now about those pressures...

It's been a rough couple of months, actually a rough number of years trying to get my husband to be supportive. And friends who try and pressure me aren't really my friends anyways

I filed for divorce last month. There were many reasons and alcohol was very low on the list. Long story, but he made it very clear over the last year that he did not want to contribute to the marraige or family other than the bare minimum. In July when I quit drinking for a month he got angry at me for not being able to "moderate" and said I was ruining his fun. Long story short he is in general a very angry person and actually was put in an intensive anger management program for about a month in October. Needless to say even though I knew I needed to give up alcohol once again, dealing with the divorce has definitely made it an even harder challenge. I've spent many months debating on how to fix my family and tried to get him on board, all I got in return was anger from him.

It's been hard, depressing, relieving, renewing, and many more emotions. But I feel great! Life is good, I will be okay and I'm not living in an angry house with someone who yells constantly That was a long way of answering your question! And I quit smoking it's day 5 and day 8 of absolutely no alcohol. I'm sleeping better, getting more done and proud of myself.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunnybird03 View Post
Glad you're back! I'm interested on your thoughts about being around people who still drink. I have two sisters I'm very close to and they drink a lot. I often feel pressure from them. I don't think they intentionally try to pressure me, it just happens. Sadly, I've given in many, many times...
I think the hardest part is either 1.) The drinkers around you are not alcoholics and don't understand how it's different for you. Or 2.) The drinkers around you are alcoholics that are not ready to quit drinking and misery loves company, so even though they are not trying to hurt you, they are not ready to quit themselves.

And either way, for the alcoholic it's easy to feel that it's acceptable to be drinking when everyone around you is. I'm okay being around people who drink, as long as they don't care that I'm not drinking and if the sole purpose of the night is to drink, then I probably don't need to be there. Drinking socially doesn't bother me, but if the social event is drinking than it would bother me.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Humiliated View Post
I gave into pressures from my husband and friends to drink at the end of August and then of course didn't come back to this site..... Today is day 5 of absolutely no drinking! There were a lot of days where I would only have a couple of drinks and then reward myself on the weekends by having lots of drinks..... hind sight that sounds really stupid... I feel great and know that alcohol is not what I need to be happy. So I start again and will post everyday and be proud of my progress.
I thought I would post everyday, but life, work, kids, dogs, etc. take priority