Notices

The Battle Continues... just so disgusted!!!!

Old 11-16-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Paul,

Welcome back! It sounds like you have many wonderful things going for you right now. I have tried stopping g many times before as well. I was on and off SR and today is day 36.

I have three great kids, a husband and a job I enjoy, but each day I still struggle to avoid drinking. I am feeling much better the past month, and know I am making healthy choices for me and my kids. It isn't easy, try reading around and posting in here when you have that urge (part of the reason I am on here nightly!)

Looking forward to reading more if your posts.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Paul.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:02 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Welcome back Paul! I also wondered how you were doing...glad to hear that so many things are going right for you.

You have the same chance mentally not to drink as anyone else does. Only you can decide when you're ready to quit. I knew I had a problem years ago and wish I had quit back then, but that's my experience. I do hope you won't wait until it's progressed beyond your control or something bad happens to you.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you all very much for your comments. It's very inspirational to know there are people that actually care, especially those that care about me no matter how stubborn and arrogant I am. And I know it sounds cliche... but this means a lot. You are the only ones in the world I have ever talked to about this. So when I come to this site I feel so free. Just getting it all off my chest.

After reading the comments I just have a few things to respond to before I respond to individual comments later. I have studied AVRT, I have read the Big Book, I have read the Bible multiple times. I have studied alcoholism, I have seen the absolute worst alcoholics there is, I have experienced a very alcoholic mother, a horribly alcoholic girlfriend in the past, lost family members to alcoholism, etc. So my knowledge of the subject I feel is solid. My problem is 100% pure stubbornness and ignorance and alcoholism. I honestly feel inside that based on what I have been around in my life that I am actually proud of myself for not being an "extreme" alcoholic. And I convince myself that my mom who was an alcoholic for 20 years (not a super crazy alcoholic, but drank a bottle of wine+ almost every night). Then at 44 she found God again, quit cold turkey, and has not drank a single drop of alcohol for 8 years. She went from someone I despised in my life to one of my biggest role models.

But the sad part is, I feel like since my mom did this and was able to kick it and succeed after 44, that I have plenty of time. That is my problem... I push everything off to tomorrow. It's always tomorrow. I have so many excuses.

To me, it seems like I'm a hardcore alcoholic if I have "time" to be one. But for some reason if I have obligations, those are more important than alcohol. So when I lost my job and had nothing to do all day and lived by myself... I "couldn't" resist the temptation of alcohol. I became a full on sip alcohol most of the day alcoholic. Before I had my girlfriend, I used to drink as much as possible on weekends and recover for work on Monday. So there is something inside of me that can fulfill obligations, but the second there are no obligations I drink. When I'm done with work I drink, when I'm done with hockey I drink, when I'm done hanging out with my girlfriend or she falls asleep, I drink, etc.

I'm a straight alcoholic and have been for over 2 years. Things are getting better but that craving and lack of self control is still there.

You guys are amazing. Thank you for all the kind words and support.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:15 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I feel you bro, I am having a hard time stopping. Been tough. I am trying to see this psych for depression issues, and she wants me to stop for 30 days... I am on day 5... it been hard to get past 10... It seems other addicts think I should just lie and continue to drink, and you don't know how much I want to!!! I want to so bad! My roommates were drinking earlier, and we have alcohol here so I can get it just by walking to my fridge. I know I shouldn't, I told my gf I would... and the damn psych wants to see how my liver is doing, and if my issues are not alcohol induced. So I am trying to stick with my weak guns here on saying no. Trying to find strength in my gf, my mom, former self that is in me somewhere!

I am going to have a rough time watching the UCLA vs. USC game tomorrow without beer, I am going to try to fill myself up with lemonade, tea, snacks, anything to get my mind off that shizzz

I wish you the best, and hope you really don't screw up your liver brah, thats the last thing we all want. Having some beers with the pops while making some tacos sounds good as hell
Old 11-17-2012, 03:22 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Dont you think that you could openly discuss your fears with mom? She's been there and would be supportive?
you can read all the books and materials to learn about the neurological effects of alcoholism, but you can work a simple program to not WANT to drink too.
if i overthink things i get to wrapped up in theories
Old 11-17-2012, 03:38 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MesoFreak View Post
I feel you bro, I am having a hard time stopping. Been tough. I am trying to see this psych for depression issues, and she wants me to stop for 30 days... I am on day 5... it been hard to get past 10... It seems other addicts think I should just lie and continue to drink, and you don't know how much I want to!!! I want to so bad! My roommates were drinking earlier, and we have alcohol here so I can get it just by walking to my fridge. I know I shouldn't, I told my gf I would... and the damn psych wants to see how my liver is doing, and if my issues are not alcohol induced. So I am trying to stick with my weak guns here on saying no. Trying to find strength in my gf, my mom, former self that is in me somewhere!

I am going to have a rough time watching the UCLA vs. USC game tomorrow without beer, I am going to try to fill myself up with lemonade, tea, snacks, anything to get my mind off that shizzz

I wish you the best, and hope you really don't screw up your liver brah, thats the last thing we all want. Having some beers with the pops while making some tacos sounds good as hell
Haha, you speak my language bro. College football is my biggest vice along with 1000 other things. It's like I'm talking to myself! I saw a psych about concentration issues. She said I had OCPD and Bi-Polar II. So I took Ritalin for awhile but my heart started going crazy with the Ritalin, red bull, and alcohol I was drinking. So she got pissed at me and told me she wasn't given me any medication until I stopped drinking.

I am actually a fairly normal guy in real life. It's in my own head that I can not control. Gambling addictions, caffeine addictions, Hydroxicut addictions (not because I was fat, but for work out purposes).

Anyways, good luck on the game tomorrow. Thanks for the kind words also. Means a lot to hear similar stories and just know we are not alone. Go DUCKS!!! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-17-2012, 03:49 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
Dont you think that you could openly discuss your fears with mom? She's been there and would be supportive?
you can read all the books and materials to learn about the neurological effects of alcoholism, but you can work a simple program to not WANT to drink too.
if i overthink things i get to wrapped up in theories
Out of anyone in my life, I know my mom knows exactly what I'm going through. She is very kind about it but she knows. She tries to do things to help me out, but she also knows that if she straight up confronts me on it, it would not end well. Especially with her past. But I will say she helps me out a lot. Makes me go to church, highlights quotes in my Bible, explains to me how much better her life is with out alcohol, etc.

I'm just so stubborn, I can not follow any programs that I do not create. Everything I read I already have a predisposition before reading. I think I can beat it, but at the same time I realize I'm just one of millions who think that but fail. And obviously after 5 months I have not beat it yet. So I'm not really confident. I just don't know what the correct work or explanation is. It's like I know I'm on the path of killing myself but at the same time I feel like I have "time" to make the change.

I don't know what to do
Old 11-17-2012, 03:57 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

There is no law that says you cant make and follow your own plan. Truly it is what i do. And i can change it if i want to.
For example im going out on a date today, shopping and dinner. I know i want to feel good, but im trying to draw on my own self-confidence, not the booze talking.
If you had a son and saw him struggling as you do, what would you tell him?
Old 11-17-2012, 04:06 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pauladmits View Post
Haha, you speak my language bro. College football is my biggest vice along with 1000 other things. It's like I'm talking to myself! I saw a psych about concentration issues. She said I had OCPD and Bi-Polar II. So I took Ritalin for awhile but my heart started going crazy with the Ritalin, red bull, and alcohol I was drinking. So she got pissed at me and told me she wasn't given me any medication until I stopped drinking.

I am actually a fairly normal guy in real life. It's in my own head that I can not control. Gambling addictions, caffeine addictions, Hydroxicut addictions (not because I was fat, but for work out purposes).

Anyways, good luck on the game tomorrow. Thanks for the kind words also. Means a lot to hear similar stories and just know we are not alone. Go DUCKS!!! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No lie it sounds like I am talking in a mirror! We do sound very similar. I have not been diagnosed but she told me the symptoms and sounds like I have bi-polar. I was taking unpresrcibed Ritalin, Adderall, Rockstars, and alcohol; messed my heart real good to, but with slow progression cardio I was able to heal it.

It sounds like we have that addictive personality because I also get addicted to various things also: Working out, drinking, cocaine, video games, etc. I need to learn balance instead of going balls to the wall on one thing.

The Ducks are killing it this year. I would like to see the Ducks vs. K-State; another team killing it this year. I love college ball more than the NFL. My team: Arizona Wildcats... I know they suck but I won't betray them
Old 11-17-2012, 05:48 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Paul, like Fandy, I pretty much made up and follow my own plan. The crux of my plan is balance. I use exercise, meditation, reading and of course, SR has been my lifeline for years. If you want to create a program of your own, go for it, follow it, and free yourself from the chains.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

paul,

I have missed you! Infact, I didn't even know you posted - just searched for threads started by you to see if you had posted lately! Sounds to me like you are on the fence, and I understand. Another way to think about it is that you are having a hard time quitting because nothing adverse enough has happened, or you have not "hit bottom" yet. I hope you don't wait for that to happen...it can be a nightmare. best wishes.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Paul,

There will always be someone who in your mind is a "worse" alcoholic then you. Until the day you die this will be so.

If you wait till you are the worst alcoholic you know, how hard do you think it will be to quit then?

I am 50. Don't you think I wish I had never started drinking daily 12 years ago? Don't you think I wish someone younger could learn from my lost years? Someone, such as yourself? If you needed to lose an extra 50 lbs, would you say, aw... I'll wait till I am 100 lbs over weight before losing it. Would you say, hey, obesity runs in my family, it could be worse, why I know someone who weighed 300 lbs plus before they quit.. "

Or would you think of how severely your health would be compromised at 100 lbs overweight, and how much harder it will be to quit?

Why wait? What if that voice that says to wait, is your Addiction talking?