Notices

bipolar and alcohol

Old 11-15-2012, 12:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

bipolar and alcohol

hi, im new to this site ive currently been bingeing on vodka for 6 days today is my first alcohol free day, im seriously struggling and absolutely terrified to go to bed, i have hot and cold sweats after drinking the most terrifying nightmares ive taken diazepam had have sleeping pills but not sure if i should take them as on monday i sicked up blood in the night and didnt even wake up scary, i seriously want to give up drinking as i am getting myself into dangerous situations, my gp suggested a 28 day in hospital treatment programme but i can go longer than that! i have bipolar disorder and drink on a mood change, its strange obviously i have alcohol addiction as well but am not dependant on everyday, just seems that every 3 months ill decide to get absolutely wasted and once i start i cant stop but the binges are getting longer and i will eventually die, is there any bipolar sufferers on here with a similar pattern, im at my wits end and so are my family any advice please
Old 11-15-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi!

I am bipolar. The important thing is to find a good doctor that understands dual diagnosis. I take meds (abilify and lamactal) and go to AA.

You might want to follow your doctor's advice and check into someplace for 30 days. You can dry out and get regulated on some meds.

Alcohol is horrible for alcoholics of course, but it is especially sucky in the treatment of bipolar disorder. Alcohol makes me crazy as a loon.

Good luck and keep posting!!!
Old 11-15-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

im on quetiapine for the bipolar but i have crazy ideas and stop taking them and this is usually when all trouble starts, and what is even more crazier is that i read that the tablets could damage my liver, madness considering it doesnt seem to bother me when im throwing vodka down my neck, i have started going to aa meetings and had not drunk for 26 days and feel a bit ashamed to go back now x
Old 11-15-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't be ashamed to go back! Many have been there. I have enough white chips to tile my shower.

I went off meds and drank too. That is what we do when we are sick. Don't stop taking your medicine! Even when you feel fine.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello charlielou

I have with major depressive disorder for many years. It was incredibly important to get my doctors involved. I got real honest with my gp and my shrink. Don't be afraid to reach our for help.
All my best