Notices

Skipping a Networking Event

Old 11-15-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Skipping a Networking Event

Tonight there is a speaker series that I have attended in the past. The series comes with free wine and beer before, and lots if networking. I have decided not to attend, don't think I am ready to deal with that yet.

Is that bad?
Old 11-15-2012, 12:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No, I wouldn't think so. You know what is right for you.

It is certainly better than missing it because your drunk or hungover!
Old 11-15-2012, 12:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

If it's going to tempt you to drink, by all means avoid it. And wisely so.

I avoided a lot of the events I normally went to just because of the alcohol, especially when I recognized that the only reason I was going was to drink.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not sure if anyone can really judge it bad or not, but I would have done that too at just over 30 days, Delilah.

My recovery was very important to me...I needed to put clear distance between my old life and my alcohol sodden one.

It worked for me

D
Old 11-15-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think it's a really wise choice. I wish I had done that more. I suffered through a lot early on just because I was too embarrassed to say no to people. Well done x
Old 11-15-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Delilah,

You might give it a pass this time, until you have a little more sober time under your belt. If its necessary for your career to attend these deals, maybe you should work on a plan. I bring my own water bottle with iced tea mix or flavoring. Keep it in your hand at all times. When offered alcohol, just show your water bottle and say "I'm set, thanks!" If anyone presses you about why you're not drinking alcohol, you can tell them yourer on a new healthier diet before/after/during the holidays! Or just say "Not tonight, thanks" and let it go.

My experience, most people don't care. change the subject, move on. I have to do these events and I'm to the point I only stay long enough to be polite and do small talk.

Hope this helps!

Love from Lenina
Old 11-15-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you knew you could go and avoid the temptation to drink you wouldn't have even posed this question. What's more important than you, your sobriety, your health?
Old 11-15-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I think being overly cautious is a good thing right now.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would have done the same thing. I was terribly vulnerable in the early days. Hopefully next time, you will feel more comfortable.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, it is not a mandatory event, otherwise I would have gone and worked really hard to avoid the open bar. I enjoy going to these events, but didnt feel quite ready to see colleagues that I have worked with in the past and currently work with in this situation yet.

I know day 35 is still early, and figured I would rather wait until I had a little more sober time under my belt.inhave opted for a Pilates class after work, then home for dinner and homework with the kids.

I know it will get easier as time goes on but I think Pilates and water are a better option for the night.

I know my next hurdle witll be Thanksgiving, I haven't to,d anyone other than my husband and one sister in law that I have decided to stop drinking. I will just need to stick close to the kids and make sure that while helping out in the kitchen to say no to the wine. I am planning on some Black Friday crazy hour shopping, and this will be the first time I can do that because I will be sober.

Happy Thursday!!!