Notices

Cold Turkey or Taper off?

Old 11-14-2012, 05:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cold Turkey or Taper off?

hey u guys...this is my first day and first post here...i know its time to quit...tired of blacking out...making promises i dont remember,wakin up to strangers in bed, forgetting 2hr long phone conversations etc....i am ready to quit but i read a lot of stories about ppl tapering off but then many other stories saying moderating alcohol is darn near impossible alcoholics...so if i cant moderate and taper off i should quit cold turkey...but read somewhere that that can cause seizures...my biggest fear...im 30 and have been drinking everday for about 11 years...i get anxious...the shakes etc...anf its hurting my wallet...would like to hear a few stories on how some of you guys started sober life... Thanx
Old 11-14-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Skeetz,
I think it's best to consult with your doctor about the safest way. It's great you're ready to quit - you'll find many sober friends here
Old 11-14-2012, 05:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I tried a taper. That was pretty much the start of my recent epic relapse. I've some people have had disapline to taper successfully, but I couldn't. If you can't taper, you gotta get a medical detox to be safe.

Be well.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanx...i cant afford a medical detox...i got 3 kids to feed and my doctor actually suggested tapering off...
Old 11-14-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome and thanks for posting! I tried to taper...did not work at all. I ended up in the hospital...twice. I would suggest getting your doctor on board...at first I was shy about abmitting my issues with alcohol with him but he has been so supportive it doesnt bother me at all now. Best of luck! Look after yourself...
Old 11-14-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I quit cold turkey and had a withdrawal seizure. If you can't afford a medical detox, perhaps you can see a doctor and a get a prescription to ease the withdrawal. Librium helped me with withdrawal in a previous attempt to quit drinking. Later I learned that people get addicted to it. I didn't feel any buzz from it, so once I didn't need it any more I had no desire to pursue it. It sure helped the jones though. The jones are the worst! You can die from alcohol withdrawal. I would definitely consult a physician.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

As some who suffered several mini strokes in detox, I really recommend noone takes this lightly.

You might be ok, you may not - and noone really knows beforehand.

I agree with those who say see another Dr for a second opinion, Skeetz.

There are a lot of free or low cost clinics around - if there's one in your local area you might get some medical advice there?

Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics
The 10816 clinics in this database are free, low cost, low cost with a sliding scale based on income, or offer some type of financial assistance.
2-1-1 Call Center Search

2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Call 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more. Learn more about your local 2-1-1 by looking it up
here.
Detox can be problematic, even dangerous for binge drinkers and daily alcoholics alike.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 11-15-2012 at 03:41 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi there,
I went cold turkey just over 5 weeks ago. I didn't realise how dangerous it was as I only decided that morning that I was going to do it. After 22yrs. I've had a couple of seizures before after heavy drinking and alcohol leaving my system before I had a chance to balance out. This time I was on the verge of a seizure within the first few days, twice. And so scared. I don't wish to scare you but it can be fatal.
I would implore you to see a doctor first....it's too dangerous to risk on your own if you've also been a long term heavy drinker.
Be safe and good luck x