Notices

Withdrawing from opiates

Old 10-08-2012, 08:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Withdrawing from opiates

Hello all,

I've been abusing Hydrocodone (6-10 7.5/325mg daily) for about three years. I have a legitimate prescription for a real medical condition, but I was using it in an illegitimate way. I have done dishonest, probably illegal things in order to get enough to feel "normal." I've never actually tried to quit before, and even though I've gone days or even weeks between getting my prescription refilled, I never intended to stop taking them.

Recently, I decided that I need to quit, and the last time I took a pill was about 64 hours ago. How sad that I actually know it to the hour. I told my doctor that I am addicted to opiates so that he would no longer give them to me. I alternate between feeling desperately depressed and breaking out into cold sweats. I can't eat anything and have joint pain and terrible GI symptoms.

I just told my husband about it an hour ago. He took it surprisingly well, or maybe I shouldn't be so surprised. He's a good man who deals with his own addictions every day. He was actually kinda relieved to know that it's the opiates that make me short-tempered and bitchy, not being off them.

I know it's going to take a while for me to feel okay again. I just wanted to come to a place (albeit a virtual place) to talk with people who know what I'm going through.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Welcome Wendy! This is great place and you will find tremendous support here. Post often. We need to hear how you are doing!

Old 10-08-2012, 08:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Wendy, My husband is almost 30 days clean from opiates. The first 3-5 days were the worst but not that bad. He is still having a little trouble sleeping but not every night.

He is going to NA meetings and has a great support group. Trust me, if he can do this - you can too! God Luck and God Bless!!
Old 10-08-2012, 09:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Wendy - you'll find a lot of support here

You might also like to check out our substance abuse forum too:
Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 10-09-2012, 06:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Wendy! x
Old 11-15-2012, 08:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you Wendy!

I just joined this forum today after reading some of the posts, including yours. I've been on and off Hydrocodone for multiple reasons during my life, and know it is a problem for me now. Your symptoms almost exactly mirror my own, right down to the depression, GI issues, and the knowledge that the drug can make you snap at your partner, not the lack of it.

It is fantastic that you had the discussion with your husband, and that he took it well. That support makes a huge difference. My wife has been a saint in my eyes, dealing with me talking about quitting for too long now.

Thank you for being an inspiration. I am tapering off, as this is what my doctor suggested. Unfortunately it does prolong the symptoms you described; basically you go through a mini version of that with each step you take down (I've done this before after surgeries). It is also extremely difficult not to justify taking more the next day as you pat yourself on the back for taking less the day before... something I must avoid.

Anyway, congratulations on your decision Wendy. Never look back, you are doing the right thing!