Notices

Struggling...

Old 11-14-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling...

Hi there,
I am in my fifth month of sobriety. Had attended a detox/recovery program for 3 weeks. I thought I would feel better by now, but as some of the posts here are sharing, guilt is eating them up as well. I hate myself for my behavior specifically for the four days I took off from home and my husband and kids didn't know where I was... It was hell for them. Now, I am creating my own hell by reminding myself every single day how terrible I made everyone feel.
I do attend AA not as often as I should though. I am so glad to have found this place. I have a lot to get off my chest but a Hello will be a good start.
So, Hello!
Old 11-14-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome aboard

Keep reading and posting , you found a wonederful community here.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
YEM
05/07/2011

After the pink cloud of early recovery went away I didnt really start to feel better about myself until I accepted that I did things that hurt people I love and the only way I can make up for that is by changing the way I live and not make the same mistakes over and over.

I do not see much value in always looking back at my past, I know it's there, its done and I can only change by going forward. The steps arent for everyone but doing them in order, with my sponsor has helped me change into a completely different person and has freed me from the guilt and shame of my past. Going to meetings is great but its finding a new way to live all the other hours of each day that makes a real difference.

I have found that time alone does not help your recovery but only how you work on yourself in that time. I wish you the best and thanks for posting.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Feeling miserable for something that's over and done with, something that can't be changed, is detrimental to your recovery. Guilt and shame are the path stones to relapse.

The best thing you can do (if you aren't doing the AA 12 steps) is stay sober and prove to your family that recovery is the most important thing, that you aren't going to give up on it. That is the best way to ensure to them that this unfortunate event will never happen again.

Good luck.

P.S.
And welcome to SR!

Last edited by doggonecarl; 11-14-2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: added welcome
Old 11-14-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Critica76 View Post
Hi there,
I do attend AA not as often as I should though. I am so glad to have found this place. I have a lot to get off my chest but a Hello will be a good start.
So, Hello!
Attending meeting is good but the steps of AA are specifically designed to address what you are talking about. It was not until I worked the steps that I had real relief from the pain, shame, guilt, and fear. Quiting drinking is only the beginning of the road to recovery. My tag line says it all
Old 11-14-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Critica76

All you can do is keep moving forwards. Don't let guilt paralyse you. There is nothing you can do to change the past now but you can change what happens in the future. Stay positive x
Old 11-14-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

To see if meetings or any other recovery method works we need to do it for a prolonged period, the magic figure seems to be 3 months, daily practice, no judging, just do it and then see where you are.