Notices

New to this site and grateful it is here

Old 11-14-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this site and grateful it is here

I have been struggling with opiate addiction for a little over 1 year now. I am desperate to be completely off all medication and not only want to, but must be off everything ASAP. First and foremost because I want to and can't live this way any longer and because I have some major changes coming my way and can't have any drugs on board whatsoever.
I am in the process of attempting to wean myself but feel unsure about how to do this. I don't use the same amount of narcotics every day, though I can say that I do begin feeling withdrawl symptoms within 6-7 hours after using the meds. I don't want to ask medical advice really, just advice from others who have been down this road.
I have to be off this as quickly as possible and inpatient treatment just isn't an option at this time. At this point I don't think i'm really struggling with the desire to use, I simply have to use something because the symptoms feel unmanageable. I would think most people would not recommend quiting cold turkey. I fear that because I don't know if I could encounter more serious physical probs than just feeling awful.
I have been using Dilaudid, I would say between 4-6 mg or so every day for just over a year which some people have said is not a huge amount however I know it is a very potent med. At this point I know I have to conquer the physical aspect of this before I can truly address the other issues.
Can anyone share their experience about weaning, if they were able to stop cold turkey - how long could I expect to be just physically completely down. (I have only gone at most 36 hours without meds since starting and have felt incredibly sick with withdrawl symptoms during those times.) The times I have been in withdrawl have had me planted in bed with horrible flu like symptoms. Just don't know how long the physical/debilitating part of withdrawl really lasts.
I am simply desperate to put this behind me. I made some very foolish decisions after a horrible break up which led me here. I have no family and absolutely no one in my life knows anything about this, so anything I can get would be hugely helpful.
I don't have the words to describe how desperate I feel at this point, but I know I have to have a plan to be completely and totally off meds in the shortest time possible so that I can begin dealing with other aspects of my recovery.
Thank you for your time in reading my post and appreciate in advance anything anyone can offer.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love this site. Ive only been really active on it recently but Ive found it very helpful and there are many supportive people on here. Welcome