Notices

Insomnia

Old 11-14-2012, 08:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Insomnia

Hi
I'm not comfortable with social media and chat rooms, but I need some support. I'm trying to give up drink after 12 years, but what always gets me is inability to sleep. Every time I give it up I can't sleep for days, leading to weeks and my emotions run away from the logical choice to to just trying to get some sleep. The only reason my husband is still with me is because he sees the struggle when I'm not drinking. He's lying next to me each night while I go through book after book and am more useless the next day than if I had even a hangover. I won't take pills to help me sleep because that's just the same thing as drinking. I'm really sick of the cycle
Old 11-14-2012, 08:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey there. I'm not sure how much help I can be but, I could have wrote the exact same post you just did. I have had insomnia for as long as I can remember sleeping. Over the past many years, every time I tried to give up drinking, I would be awake all night or awakened by horrible nightmares every 15 min that I could actually doze off. Every time resulted in me drinking again to get some sleep. Although that wasn't the only thing that made me drink, it was a factor. I've tried several OTC meds such as Midnite PM and nothing worked. Here is what I have found that does work for me. In the past, I would set my alarm to get up and work out before I got the kids up for school. Then, before dinner I went running for 30-45 minutes. After about 3 days of that I could barely keep my eyes open long enough to get the kids bathed and to bed. I'm not really back to that routine yet this time. I am working on day 9 of no alcohol/cigs, which is a very long time for me. I'm having a rough detox and am just in the last few days starting to work out in the mornings. It has been enough for me to get some sleep. I have averaged about 7 hours a night the last 3-4 nights, which is awesome for me with no alcohol help. I don't know your situation, but just know that you have options besides alcohol! I know this isn't much help, I just wanted to respond since I have dealt with the same issue for years. Good luck to you!
Old 11-14-2012, 09:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Because we don't have children, I feel so guilty when someone has managed to fight their demons. I stared drinking because I couldn't sleep, well after I was 21. It's such a stupid circle. I joined the gym and I'm trying, but I think my husband has given up on me after 11 years and I can't really blame hime. So, I can't sleep, I can't reason, and I can't figure out how to shake this without support
Old 11-14-2012, 09:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi,

Had the same problem...even convinced myself that it was reason to drink. It was rough at first. I drank sleepy time tea and did some meditation type activity. I'm now almost 6 mths sober and have never slept better.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Insomnia is normal when giving up the drink. Whenever I tried to stop, I wouldn't sleep for days. I might have gotten an hour here or there, but meaningful sleep was impossible. The body needs to adjust without the alcohol suppressing the nervous system. It does pass eventually if you stay sober.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am the same. Only think that wors for is Chamomilla. Camomille in french. It's a natural tea. You can make infusions and start right after dinner. I am 200 pounds so I drink like 6-8. You will feel the deep calming effect. Better then chemicals or vallums. Ho Valerian is also a good plant for sleeping. Comes in pills. They created vallums from the plant to make money. Sorry for for my writing, on my phone and french
Old 11-14-2012, 11:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've had the same problem. Here's a few options to explore

1. Valerian
2. Meditation
3. exercise EARLY in the day, not at night.
4. Listening to Binaural beats before sleep-may not work but worth a try.
5. Reading before sleep, and staying away from tv/computer screens
6. Melatonin-it's naturally produced in the body