Notices

Now what?

Old 11-14-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Quitting alcohol is very doable if you're ready to make that change. Only you can answer that one.

And if you are ready...it is really quite simple. Don't drink alcohol. You get through it a day at a time. You read the forums, you post with the others that are doing the exact same thing as you. You draw strength from their experiences. You start to feel better. You find a recovery program that feels right for you and hopefully you find your way through to the other side.

Nothing changes though till you make the change. In the beginning for me it was admitting that I could no longer control alcohol. At the time it was believing that I was powerless over alcohol and surrendering to sobriety. Later that changed for me though as I now know that I have all the power in my life and am fully in control of what I drink.

But that's what I had to do to get here. What are you going to do?

Remember...getting started is easy. Don't drink alcohol.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Okay Day two, coming upon 48 hours.
I feel pretty darn good. Not sure for how long but...
I've read a ton of posts and even gotten on the wrong side of the law with my own post (Sorry Dee).
What I've learned is that I NEED and WANT to quit drinking.
Some of you have asked. Thank you.
Some of you have already told me what to do next. Thank you.

What I need now is an atta-boy, a squeeze or something to help me out.

My wife put me on a plane on Tuesday, kissed me good bye then called a moving company to come move her out. I'm still out of town, wont be getting back until late tomorrow. I have told no one about any of this. My work situation is now making me paranoid.

Insanity started the same day I started drinking so I don't expect it to simmer down soon.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Day 10. Wow.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:48 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

awesome - way to go 4kidsDad

D
Old 11-23-2012, 09:51 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Awesome. Keep it up!
Old 11-23-2012, 09:54 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 10 days! You're great!

S x
Old 11-23-2012, 10:02 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
Drinking will make you more depressed, because alcohol is a depressant and because you will be worrying about yourself more (and understandably so).
W.
Thats a really good point, I'd just like to add one thing: there is always enough liquor to drink your way out of feeling bad. My understanding is that alcohol causes a serotonin flood in the mind, and ... sobering up causes a serotonin plunge. Hence a drunk man feels invincible and like anything he is doing is good, and a man with a hangover feels the opposite - "the guilts" as some folks calls it.

Eventually, in the process of drinking / sobering up, you feel worse, not better. But in the short term, liquor can make one feel better.

I think its important to point that out because it can help the conscious sober mind understand whats going on. Drinking DOES or at least CAN make you feel better, short term, its just over the intermediate or long term it causes harm to ones frame of mind.

Planning ahead is key here, as if you jsut think short term ... the liquor has a persuasive argument. Its over intermediate or long terms that it has a bad argument. $.02