Notices

Can you get the shakes from drinking this amount?

Old 11-13-2012, 08:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can you get the shakes from drinking this amount?

I woke up two hours ago with shaking and some anxiety. I'm 22, male, about 58kg (130lb) and I been drinking daily for the past 10 months or so. I drink about 250ml of 80 proof vodka a day normally, but these past 2 to 3 days I drunk something close to 400 ml. It seems like small amount, comparing to many other alcoholics! I'm surprised I still shaky until now.

Does anyone have any experience ike this?
Old 11-13-2012, 08:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't drink vodka, I drink beer, if you can equivalate that to beer intake I might be able to answer that. I do know that my blood pressure increases when I drink, goes from extremely low to almost hyperactive.

That then gives me the shakes.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

400ml of vodka is about 9 cans of beer I think
Old 11-13-2012, 08:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

daily drinking for that period of time gave me the shakes.

It's not so much the amount you drink as far as I'm concerned - it's more the period of time.

so now you've reached this level Andre - what are your plans?

D
Old 11-13-2012, 08:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

ok, this is not medical, just based on my own experience. 9 cans of beer, yes, it raises your blood pressure, or at least mine, even if I continue to drink, I still have the shakes and anxiety. sometimes it calms down, sometimes not. When I stop drinking, it takes at least 4 days for my blood pressure to get back to normal.

Now I am usually 60/100, when I drink I go to 90/147. You can search the numbers if you want, but this is not good for your heart.

Now I am talking about blood pressure, you are talking about the shakes. To me I consider this the same thing. See I do drink 9 - 14 beers a night.

It is not good for your health. I weigh about the same as you also.

I don't know if this is the answer you want, or if it is the correct answer, maybe someone else can come along and give you a better answer.

I am quitting again 2moro, and it is for this reason about the shakes and HBP
Old 11-13-2012, 08:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

As Dee says Andre whats Next?
Old 11-13-2012, 09:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Apparently you can...
Old 11-13-2012, 10:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are 130 pounds. I weigh about 200 and yeah, that could do it.
It only gets worse.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's a little better now, but I think I'm gonna have a hard time sleeping.
I could drink daily 'succesfully' for 10 months. I didnt pay much attention to my drinking, really. Until Friday, November 2, when I had a 2 or 3 hour black out in a binge drinking with old friends session. It scared the hell out of me but I resumed drinking the next day. Now this. I never experienced shaking anxiety like this from drinking before.

I know my life is unmanageable, it has always been. And I know I need help. But still hard to believe that I'm powerless over alcohol.

I'm so scared to go to an AA meeting. I'm affraid I will run into some people that I know. And most of all I'm affraid that I will break down and start to cry. My pride makes it so hard to be tolerated...

I will go out on a business trip next Sunday. I'll be away for 2 weeks. Maybe I have enough courage to go to an AA meeting there.

Also I did go to an EA (Emotions Anonymous) meeting a few times last year. I didnt think I had any serious with alcohol at the time, I thought I was just an very emotionally disturbed neurotic person who enjoyed drinking every now and then (didnt drink daily at that time). Somehow I didnt 'click' with the people there and I just quit going.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've learned from past experience that when I've stopped drinking cold turkey that my blood sugar levels are a problem. It's really important to eat properly as hard as it can be. I found that even a glass of juice would help with the shakes and mood. Doesn't fix it of course but it helped. I've also heard this from many people.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, juice and trying to keep my blood sugar normal helped me too. But I also needed my doctor the shakes got so bad. So it seems to me that drinking is taking a toll on your health, so maybe you should perhaps make a plan to change that?
Old 11-14-2012, 05:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Andre, I too was afraid to go to AA. I cried at my first few meetings - I could not stop it. I was away on business this summer and went to a few out of town meetings. There was a man there that was new. He was crying and no one thought less of him. They just wanted to help.

I drank daily. I don't think it is the amount that matters. It is how we react to alcohol - physically and mentally and spiritually. I was empty in so many ways. Been in AA for 5 months now. I'm still new but best I have felt in years, maybe a decade.

I hope you go.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was just thinking about this. I recall having been sober for quite a while years ago and then relapsing on about the same amount you describe for just 1 day. The next day I had the worst DT's and couldn't sleep for days.
I don't think that one can compare oneself to others. You have to go by what your body is telling you. Mine was telling me that I had pushed it to the limit.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Dee is right, it is the length of time, not the amount of alcohol. The shakes are caused by an imbalance in your neurotransmitters in your brain. Your body has gotten used to having alcohol.

If that is the only symptom you have, tough it out, otherwise, see a doctor because withdrawal is serious and can be life threatening.

One thing: it will take less time drinking in the future to get the shakes. So stop now!!!!
Old 11-14-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

same as you years of drinking blissfully, then one day bang, my shakes where more internal like i was struggling to keep my head from shaking even tho it was not, anxiety through the roof.

stop now! it just gets worse and worse!!!!