Notices

Drinking when bored

Old 11-13-2012, 05:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking when bored

I am having some problems giving up drinking and need advice. I seem to drink out of boredom alot of times. Here I am tongight and I'm bored. My day is done and I cannot just sit and relax. I want a drink. How do you all deal with drinking out of boredom?
Old 11-13-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I spent a lot of time here at first. I didn't know what to do with myself. I think we all go through a period of boredom mainly because we haven't really been busy growing our lives while we were drinking. By the time I came here, alcohol had replaced a lot of what I used to do for "fun."

Acceptance helped a lot, too. I just tried to accept the boredom along with the all the other emotions/thoughts I was having. Gratitude is another tool - it works every time!

It gets better, so hang in there!
Old 11-13-2012, 05:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Newdawn10033 View Post
I am having some problems giving up drinking and need advice. I seem to drink out of boredom alot of times. Here I am tongight and I'm bored. My day is done and I cannot just sit and relax. I want a drink. How do you all deal with drinking out of boredom?
I found activities to occupy that time: things with my kids, going to the gym, reading and journaling. If you have a lot of free time maybe you can sign up for a class that interests you.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sober 12/18/11

Even though I am not an alcoholic, my drug choice was heroin but honestly I have the same calling when I am bored. "Drinking will kill the time and be fun." I have never wanted to drink like this and I wasn't a drinker! The ways I have dealt with it, first off this site has helped a lot. I also have picked up guitar or found something else to keep my mind busy. Distractions can be awesome sometimes! Somebody once told me "Boredom is a sign of an uncreative mind" In that case I must be a potato but I get his point.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I forced a new habit...every single time i had the craving, I made a cup of herbal tea. Stuff I didn't even really care for - camomille (eww). Now I can't get through an evening without 1 - 2 cups of herbal tea. Expensive vice, but a mere pittance compared to liquor! And for some reason, that awkward unsweetened taste - is just a must have for me.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have a similar problem. For me, realizing that the consequences from drinking are worse than the boredom is the main thing that helps me not drink.

And once I realized that, I have been trying to find other things to occupy my time. I used to (and am again) spend a lot of time reading posts on here. I find exercise is very helpful, but hard to make myself do. And I have started reading a lot again.

I think the key is deciding which is worse: boredom or the consequences from drinking.

Good luck to you.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The reason my drinking started was out of boredom, because of depression i think.

I would get bored, drink and browse online to pass time, listen to music, etc....which was the very beginning of my problem.

I try to find hobbies or cool things to do. A quote that helps me get active is "Only boring people get bored". Obviously not saying boredom is a sign of a boring person-it was just a little personal helper for me to go find things to do, and I have, i the past week or so.

I live in the mountains and now find all SORTS of stuff to do. explore trails off the blue ridge parkway, hiking, snowboarding, going on drives to nowhere listening to music, going to bookstores, reading, exercising, meetings and club meetings, going to live concerts, grilling, playing games, etc....theres SO much to do!!
Old 11-13-2012, 07:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

Im kind of bored right now and your right... iam drinking. drinking green tea aha!
Old 11-13-2012, 09:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, I have only recently made a commitment to quit after a Doctor's report of me suffering at the age of 38 of high blood pressure and triglycerides. The doctor said that I must be tested again in 4 months and I must lose weight. (I am currently 220 Pounds/100KG)

My weight gain is directly related to alcohol. I normally do not drink or drink moderately in the week. But the weekend is where it goes all haywire.

Will start a Saturday at lunch and have a couple with my wife. On the way home I would buy some more alcohol and go on the internet and listen to music. I will then also crave all the fatty chips and so on. Normally this will repeat on Sunday's and Monday's I will feel very bad.

Note: I am a director at a company so the job is stressful, but I do like my job.

I am however scared out of my wits of having to deal with Saturday's and Sunday's differently. The habit was a lot of fun and during the week when the job got tough, I had this fun habit to look forward to. Its a crutch I know!

A lot of you will say I must get something else to do over the weekend, but my weeks is already so full that I just do not want to do much over the weekend..thus defaulting to the easy drinking habit.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had that happen to me today. Went down to the Packie sat in the parking lot thought WTF am I doing I just learned this lesson three nights ago.

Thought WTF am I doing and picked up my phone I was SO scared like ridiculously scared but I called one of the many numbers I have, she came and picked me up we went out for coffee and just talked about random things. Boredom was cured, I didn't feel isolated. And she thanked me at the end telling me it's things like this that keep her sober.

Other things I've done is go to the gym or go our for a run or cook something new or watch something online. Or just reply to posts on here or go to a meeting or go out to dinner or something to just get my mind off drinking. Cleaning the house works too.

You just need to find something to occupy your time.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Alot of our stories sound so familiar. When I started drinking during the week I would have a beer or 3 to relax and surf the internet. It became such a ritual at night It is now hard to leave. Last night I went to bed as soon as I posted my message. I find it hard to enjoy anything right now without being a little buzzed.

It is hard to imagine but in the last 8 years the longest I have gone without having a drink was 14 days. That number seems so far away and when I did take my break it was with the purpose of drinking again. I do remember though once I got to so many days I did not want to break my streak of days not drinking.

I also find when I am not drinking I am very hungry ? Is this normal ? I know there were plenty of times when I was hungry and would drink and this would go away.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Drinking doesn't cure boredom. I was thinking today actually that drinking did make some of the more mundane jobs tolerable... now I won't tolerate boredom. It depends which way you look at it really, but I think there is more to the feeling than boredom. I was really restless when I quit, but it wasn't because I was bored, it was because I really wanted to drink.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Newdawn.

Boredom caused me to drink.
Excitement caused me to drink.
Happiness, sadness caused me to drink.
A snapped nail caused me to drink.........lol

When I eventually stopped I found loads to occupy my time and I actually found I enjoyed even the mundane tasks. (well maybe not enjoy but they were bearable)

Yeah and when I stopped I was starving.

Welcome to SR and look forward to reading more of your post. Some really fabby support and advice here.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Boredom and loneliness are my biggest triggers. I have been trying to switch my schedule around a bit so Im busier during those times but it still can be a struggle. I wish my cat could be my acountability partner lol.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

When I was drunk I only imagined I Was not bored. Now I'm just Bored sober. LOL
Hope saying I'm bored gets boring after a few months ;-)