Notices

paw

Old 11-13-2012, 04:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

paw

anyone have any experience with this...I was reading up on it this evening and it definately "fits" what I feel i'm going thru right now...also, almost 4 months into being sober (with one night of wine relapse..not good!) besides anxiety and depression that comes and goes..some days not so bad then whew!! hit like a freight train!!..I also have times and it can be for an entire day where I feel NOTHING..ZERO...I mean, if I try to feel happy I can't produce it, if I try to feel sad I can't feel that emotion either..it's like I'm just blank...has anyone else felt this way? during recovery?? I guess I thought after this length of time I'd feel on top of the world everyday..naive maybe but any thoughts/suggestions/encouragement?? thanks guys
Old 11-13-2012, 05:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The best link I've ever read is this one - it has suggestions in there

PAWS « Digital Dharma

Of course, there's always a danger in diagnosing ourselves - if there's no significant improvement soon, maybe it's best to seek a professional opinion?

D
Old 11-13-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
sober 12/18/11

I have felt the same way myoldself. I think I have bouts of this from time to time. I am generally a happy person and then out of nowhere the doom and gloom settles in for no reason it seems. I know there is light at the end of the tunnel. It seems to be getting better and better though. I have about 11 months and they are getting fewer and far in between.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Is that not part of being a human being some days we feel up and some down, just because we stop drinking/drugging does not mean everyday we are going to be doing handstands. I would rather have a few bad days than feel how i felt drinking!
Old 11-14-2012, 04:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I took me about a year to actually shed a tear. Maybe longer to have a heartfelt belly laugh.

Dee's link has some good information. I wouldn't worry about it. It is what it is. Self-diagnosing has its own perils.

Mine lasted about 18 months, but was a double booze-benzo whammy. Protracted withdrawal is very common with benzo withdrawal. I've only met a few booze hounds that actually had PAWS.

Congrats on your four months. From what I understand of PAWS, it sets in at about four to six months and car rear its head for a year or two. Funny, though, the rule of threes held true for me. I would have set backs at nine months sober, 12, etc.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

myoldslef,

I posted a thread about this last week. Dee's article has some good information. It helped me to exercise, eat well....and most importantly, make some alone time for myself. During my alone time, I did things I enjoyed and rested. I feel better this week.

Hope this helps you to know someone else is going through the same thing....I'm at the five month mark.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

2 years it says...WOW! I hope I make it through....and everyone around me....
Old 11-14-2012, 01:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Lola,
Don't fucus on the two year part.........find hope that I feel better this week! LOL!
Old 11-14-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just remember that IT WILL get better and will pass...you CAN feel good again.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
YEM
05/07/2011

This too shall pass. It takes a long time for your body to normalize after the abuse we put ourselves through. Have faith that one day at a time we will continue to get better as long as we work on ourselves and dont throw drugs or alcohol into the mix.

Keep on keeping on! Life is a beautiful gift that we should always try and appreciate and be grateful for.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had a weird bout of what I can only call PAWS at around 90-100 days. I felt like I was in complete withdrawal again, but only for about 24 hours. Left my body almost as suddenly as it came on.

That was years ago, and it's never been back. I guess it could've been a 24 hour flu or something, but it felt just like withdrawal.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

PL.....I have been feeling terrible....must be a PAWS epidemic!
Old 11-14-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

my PAWS experience was a day here a day there...gone by 120 days...certainly not some 2 years protracted agony....

That may be some peoples experience, particularly if other things like benzoes are involved, for example, but it's not been mine

Try not to worry

D