Notices

Feeling Ill/Lethargic

Old 11-13-2012, 06:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Feeling Ill/Lethargic

I'm just writing this post because I am not feeling my usual upbeat self. Everything is going ok in my life today. In fact everything is better than great. I am being blessed with many things that I never thought I would have. By the far the best blessing is the clarity I have back in my mind.

But today I feel really rough. I get days like this. It feels like my immune system has just gone on holiday. I get very lethargic and woozy, and feel a bit faint. I have got some tests booked at my local doctors surgery but I went today and they told me I had the times wrong (I didn't, I had written them down, but hey - powerless over that receptionist) so I have to wait until next week to have them.

But the point of the post is mainly about when I feel ill and tired I just feel crap in general. Last night I went to a meeting and was struggling to stay awake through it. The whole of today has been the same and I got about 8 hours sleep last night. I just have no idea what it is. It comes in fits and starts. I don't wanna use over it but my mood changes so dramatically. I become a complete t*at. HALT. They should add an S on the end for SICK. Anyways happy to be clean and alive and living the program. Just tired and gotta go to work.

And in perspective people have much worse troubles than me and when I write mine down it helps me see how trivial they are.

Natom.

Last edited by Natom; 11-13-2012 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 11-13-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your body is likely depleted of many nutrients and "happy chemicals" that your brain needs to feel good and stay energized. Have you thought about trying anything like that? It worked wonders for me...i wouldnt have believed it if I hadnt tried it myself.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Tried 'happy chemicals'? What like antidepressants? This addict will not touch them.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No, not drugs. I would not touch anti-depressants either. I mean natural chemicals in your brain that get depleted like seratonin and dopamine. There are natural things that can help restore them. Without these natural chemicals it is almost impossible to feel "normal".
Old 11-13-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Ahh I see what you're saying. But technically they fall under the category of 'mind or mood altering chemicals' regardless of whether they are natural or not. Marijuana is natural, but so are bears. I'm sure I will feel better tomorrow. I'm just going to indulge in some deep prayer on the way to work.

Natom.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Natom are you still trying to quit smoking? The reason I ask is when I quit ( I was 30) I felt really tired for the first 2-3 weeks. I was shocked because I had been told by many who had quit that my energy levels would increase. They did but it took almost a month. I started smoking again at 40. (very stupid of me)
Old 11-13-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

i have days like that, i suppose it cant be all sunshine and roses!!!
Old 11-13-2012, 07:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just make it through the day, listen to your body and sleep as much as possible, seeing the Dr. will put your mind at ease. Take care.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Originally Posted by escapist View Post
Natom are you still trying to quit smoking? The reason I ask is when I quit ( I was 30) I felt really tired for the first 2-3 weeks. I was shocked because I had been told by many who had quit that my energy levels would increase. They did but it took almost a month. I started smoking again at 40. (very stupid of me)
Not at the moment. I find whenever I quit I always get a surge of energy. Part of me thinks that it is my diet and the other part of me thinks it's something medical like low blood sugar. But I have an ECG test and a blood test coming up soon that should hopefully give me peace of mind or a reason for why I feel like this some days.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah everyone has days like that! I certainly do. I just want to politely point out that seratonin and dopamine are not mind altering substances though....they are nutrients that your body needs. Not everyone agrees on these things though...which is ok Im sure this feeling will pass.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Natom.

I felt just like this when my blood pressure dropped. I was just creeping around and felt sleepy all day. Once it recovered I was as good as new again.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

hey natom,, try taking zinc vitamins? they help boost your immune system,, and dont bother with vit c,,as soon as it hits the stomach it cant be digested into the system,, complete waste of money.
just a point,, im an ex nurse and it helps a lot of peeps,, me included,especially in this english weather!! hope u feel better soon x lv cleo xxxx
Old 11-13-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

it is flu season...sometimes feeling is completely unrelated to alcohol too.

(shhh, quit smoking, it's bad for you). if you need to sleep, do so...it's restorative and yes, i agree about the zinc and try to get vitamin D too. you can do vitamin C with a fresh bit of fruit.

i do take SAM-e supplements, i find them helpful.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi

I think it is just part of the healing process, you are still in the early days ( as I am) and your body is still adjusting to the shock of having no alcohol or tobacco. Your metabolism will probably be up and down for a few more weeks, but it will get better and you'll start to feel better too. Just be kind to youself and listen to what your body is telling you. See what results your blood tests show and if need be speak to your Doctor about what vitamins or nutrients you may need to replenish what you've lost through alcohol.

Also, everybody has up and down days whether drinking or not!

Anyway, you're doing really well so keep going, it will be worth it.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey natom. I am feeling the same, this weather ain't helpin us either!!
But I looked back to my post from the sobriety time I did last year and I was feeling the same.
Im about three weeks just now, I think about the same as you. What I did last time was excersised and ate good food. Make sure you are getting your vitamin, minerals and iron. Holland and barrets great, get vitamin tablets and other herbal stuff. Use the money you spent on alcohol for this. It definetly helps.
I am sure I felt better last time after the month mark. I am feelin alot better anyway just after a few weeks, but got that lazy bug you got too.
Anyway peace , im sure you'll be gd too in another few days!!!
Old 11-13-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ps sorry, just realised you have done about six months. Sorry, I think it must be your diet and exercise. I ain't no pro on this tho so yeah get checked up!
Peace
Ps plenty fruit veg n fresh air!
Old 11-13-2012, 09:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Natom, I too didn't realise you have been doing this for over six months sorry. You're quite a bit further on than me. I think maybe wait and see what the blood tests show and take it from there!

Thanks for that tip about zinc Cleo, I may try some of that!
Old 11-13-2012, 02:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think sometimes we just get sick
I hope the Doctor can help natom.

D