Notices

Labeling yourself as an "addict/alcoholic"...

Old 11-12-2012, 06:35 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jakec View Post
First off im not bashing NA or AA because I know for a lot of people, that's what works for them.. But for some reason I always found it kind of degrading to label my self as an addict... I mean yeah I have a problem with drugs, but I don't see the need to label my self or anyone else anything other than a human being.. it's almost as if it makes me feel "less than" the "average" person..

maybe it's because I've never really liked labels for anything :p

Idk, maybe I sound crazy lol but anyone else relate? or have any advice on how to get past this?
You are mistaken. AA does not require that you label yourself an alcoholic. The only requirement for membership is a desire to quit drinking.

I do agree there are individuals in AA that really, really want you to label yourself alcoholic, and step 1 and 12 refer to alcoholics, but AA does not require you to label yourself.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:55 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I label myself as an alcoholic, but more in a private manner, or at AA meetings. It's a personal reminder of my new commitment to sobriety.

I don't think it defines me as a human being though-after all it is just a word. There's much more to me than the word "alcoholic"-especially given the path and work I'm doing
Old 11-12-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by jakec View Post
but I don't see the need to label my self or anyone else anything other than a human being.. it's almost as if it makes me feel "less than" the "average" person..

maybe it's because I've never really liked labels for anything :p
I wasn't too hot on it myself. As I got a more current and correct understanding of what an alcoholic really is (and isn't) my resistance to it went down.

What really helped me with the whole "label" deal was getting to the exact nature of why I didn't like labels being applied to me - namely - because I applied them (labels) in quite destructive fashion to just about everyone else on the planet.

I had labels for blacks, Asians, Indians, blondes, red heads, the poor, the wealthy, ppl from trailer parks, ppl who drove expensive sports cars, loud type A personalities, quiet shy types, etc etc etc etc. Really, they were prejudices.......and pre-judgements. Lots of "old ideas" that I'd operated with for decades.

It wasn't the label so much as it was fear that I'd be labeled in the same manner I'd been doing it to everyone else. Just as someone being black, or a red head, or a woman, or whatever doesn't tell me much of anything about them as a person.......neither does me being an alcoholic tell all that much about me.

As I began to let go of my judgments of everyone else, it got easier and I became more comfortable being honest about my own truth. Not too tough to admit I have blue eyes.....shouldn't be any tougher to admit I'm also an alcoholic. Those are just truths about me.....but they don't define me. (when I was using outward truths about others to define them.......it was darn near impossible for me to accept any type of "label" for myself).

edit-- as I sit here and think about it, back in my early days of recovery I really didn't have much of a clue who the hell I was. I had some ideas but for each one of them I had a dozen pieces of evidence that disproved each conviction. Figuring out who the hell I am......and learning how to separate "who I am" from "what I do" made a huuuuge difference.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I do agree there are individuals in AA that really, really want you to label yourself alcoholic, and step 1 and 12 refer to alcoholics, but AA does not require you to label yourself.
The recovery movement in this country strongly suggests that people who are addicted to substances identify themselves as alcoholics or addicts. If a person chooses not to, they are very quickly dismissed as being "in denial". Many are told they will never get better until they "admit it" or accept the label. That's the trend, but again...millions can and do recover from addiction every day regardless of what they call themselves.

An SR member once said something along these lines: "If you are an alcoholic and alcohol is causing you problems, you'd better quit drinking. If you are not an alcoholic and alcohol is causing you problems, you'd better quit drinking."
Old 11-12-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Well said Day..

I was going to say something of those lines..

I have many labels for myself..

Kind
Funny
Sensitive
Over sensitive
Mean
Liar
Thief
Drunk Driver
Active Alcoholic
Sober Alcoholic
I have been all these labels before. I have to take the good with the bad. I do know that I am grateful to be sober. But if I put one drink in me I will be right back to active alcoholism..

So for me I must be rigorously honest with myself. The minute I dont believe I am still a alcoholic I might just talk myself into that I am a normal drinker and try it again.. No thanks I would rather just accept it and try to help another find sobriety..

Weather you call yourself a alcoholic or not doesnt matter. I dont care what anyone calls themselves. I do it for me and my sobriety
Old 11-12-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I have a label that I am comfortable with:

Non-Drinker
Old 11-12-2012, 11:07 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I've been trying to weigh this out for myself for a long time. I've worked in service industry for fifteen years, with peers ranging from 21 to 41 who generally drink to some extent, and do it regularly. So it's been easy to talk myself out of feelin I had a problem by comparison for years. I don't drink everyday. I mostly drink socially. and being that I'm about 118 lbs and 5'4", I don't often need to drink more than a couple beers and shots to get pretty sloppy. So I had trouble defining myself as potentially "alcoholic".. (Though I have close relatives on both sides that definitely had been.) I just finally realized-- whatever it is I am-- I'm not happy with myself and my choices. That should be all the definition I need to know that something has to change, quickly.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:05 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I guess if the label helps you, use it. I don't really use the word in my mind at all. The reality is that I can't drink in moderation, but I can chose to not drink at all. Someone else can label me if they want, it doesn't really affect me.

I'm a non-drinker in my mind. For now that's all the label I require.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:59 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I used to have a bit of an issue with referring to myself as an addict but now I actually kinda wear it as a badge of honour. When people I know well ask why I don't drink I say it's because I am a recovering addict. There's not much stigma on the addict/alcoholic labelling now as there used to be. Chances are someone you know has someone they know that is an addict/alcoholic. Or at least I have found that to be the case.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:41 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
The recovery movement in this country strongly suggests that people who are addicted to substances identify themselves as alcoholics or addicts. If a person chooses not to, they are very quickly dismissed as being "in denial". Many are told they will never get better until they "admit it" or accept the label.
Yes, this is definitely a problem. If someone finds the label personally helpful, that's cool, but to my mind no one should be pushed to use it.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:54 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I prefer not to draw attention to myself or make a career out of my problem. I'm allergic to poison ivy too, i dont announce it. (But now you know, lol) for me connecting here is enough.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:00 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

There are those who must identify very deeply and strongly as alcoholic and/or addict. I have been struck by how powerful, for some, this "disease" really is. The risk of death, or worse, is always there if they forget. And, yea, for some, recovery does need to be a second career.

But, of course, this is not the case for many. Stopping the drink or drug, making some changes in their lives, maybe a new set of friends... that's enough... just don't or drug.

There is no one answer here for everyone.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:22 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

I'm humbled and grateful to present myself as a recovered alcoholic drug addict.

I'm also an ex-smoker of nicotine too, heh.

Words communicate ideas. Ideas of alcoholism and recovery/recovered speak for themselves from within a wholly personal nature. These words have more meaning then simply dictionary defined. We give these ideas worth and value respective with our experiences of failure and success.

For me, the idea of not being a recovered alcoholic drug addict brings instant profound misery into my now moment. My essense suffers and for no advantage that is clear to me. The instant I identify as a recovered alcoholic drug addict, my now moments are again filled with triumph and fullfilment of a better lived life than once I had.

No matter the "name or title" of the music we are all respectively dancing too as we make our ways thru life, we all attain our best outcomes when we our true to ourselves.

There is more to truth than one's own experience can embrace. Truth surpasses each and everyone of us in everyway that can be possibly imagined.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Question

do people think that if we label it,, then its easier to grasp??

in society are we able to cope with things that have a name? unknown things are scary , and does that make it easier for us to go for help? and get help? and to be honest about it?

i mean alcoholism is a rather newly named disease, so it is more acceptable now it has a "proper" name,, say to yrs ago, when it would just be kinda pushed under the carpet or just simply called "a down and out, or loser, or p head??"

im just curious?
ive been drinking myself to oblivion for 10 years and used drugs before that,, im not making any issues here,, just curious cos ive read this before.
interested in how different countries /cultures accept this too.
lv cleo xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ignore me, if im being a doodoo brain xxx

Last edited by Cleopatra1; 11-13-2012 at 07:59 AM. Reason: splling
Old 11-13-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Thank God i am an alcoholic! otherwise i would be some low-down hopeless drunk drinking my way through the rest of my life and looking forward to the end...i'll take recovered alcoholic any day of the week!

I forgot the word functioning, i would be a low-down functioning hopeless drunk...i love the functioning lol After all i had a job and a home, i mean that's mean i can't be an alcoholic;-)
Old 11-13-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Nobody goes around saying "hey I'm an alcoholic" as if it's the main objective of their lives. I mean, people do that in AA meetings, but does anyone really go around saying that to their mailman, people they give their tickets to at the movies, santas they walk by in the mall?
Old 11-13-2012, 12:15 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I think there are labels we all have that we can easily hide. Labels that are flattering and no so much.

Like I am a damn good looking guy. Well... Can't really hide that can I.

I can omit that I can fire up a crack pipe from my résumé should I choose.

I know not exactly the point but if I don't call salt,salt... And pepper,pepper than I might not be able to cook well.

Lets just acknowledge a common language to refer to a human condition that sadly is all to common.

K
Old 11-13-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

not sure if you got where i was coming from on my above post,, just asking simple questions,, not once did i say its MY opinion,, but im sorry if i offened anyone,,
guess i need to learn more sensitivty in this place!!
Old 11-13-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

there's much *sensitivity* here cleo, dont worry, you are one of the least offensive I've encountered...you're fine.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I used to be an alcoholic, now I'm a non-drinker. Simple as that