Notices

Advice needed asap

Old 11-11-2012, 11:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice needed asap

Hi All
I would just like to ask for some advice from you all. I have a dear friend who is a binge drinker and i dont know how best to help them. I cannot understand how she can go for a night out and not stop drinking. Im probably like most people in that, but i care about my friend and so here i am. Her daughter usually deals with her but she is on a well deserved holiday and i have already lied to her about her mothers state at present, which i dont like doing. Friend has been drinking since saturday night 11/11/12 this is now monday 12/11/12, i know its only a couple of days, but shes drinking heavily, vodka, and taking meds, vallium, antidepressants sleeping meds etc, she just took 6 x 10mg valium before i got her to bed last night, she also had half a bottle of vodka. She has asked me to bring her more alcohol, her daughter usually brings her cans of cidre to wean her off? Not sure if this is correct or not, My instincts are to call doctor/ambulance etc but thats not what her daughter would do. Im have to go to work now and she is alone. There is a "dirty old man" whom she goes to to get her drink, im trying to keep her away from him as he takes advantage of her sexually. Please help me i dont know what to do for the best here:
Old 11-11-2012, 11:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Katnip. Welcome to SR.

I've never been in the situation like this, but if my friend had valium and vodka I would call a doctor right now. As for long-term solution - you can help her keeping away from booze and troubles, but until she realizes that she needs to stop drinking and change her life, the situation won't change drastically, IMHO.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

There are only wrong answers I think- there is are no easy choices for you or for her- you can decide if you want to call for ambulance etc, and you can decide if you supply her with alcohol

I wish you luck with this- there is section here for friends and family - get there from the main menu board - it's lower down the list
Old 11-11-2012, 11:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR katnip...That's a dangerous...possibly fatal cocktail she is mixing with those meds...Being an alcoholic...I'm sorry to tell you the only way she is going to stop...Is if she wants to...And as long as she has access to the drink and drugs...That's going to be a problem. I think the best route you and her daughter can take...Would be some kind of intervention and having her admitted to a rehab maybe?...She sounds like a danger to herself....I would look into what rights you have there as far as helping someone that can't help themselves...I live in the state of Florida here in the US...We actually have a law here...Called the Baker Act...You can Google it...That deals with people like that...I have some living sober friends in AA that are results of that law. I wish you the best....Post in the Friends and family forum here...Don't give up on her...Here is a book you might want to take a look at...A fascinating look at alcoholism....Read The Doctor's Opinion.

The text of Alcoholics Anonymous
Old 11-11-2012, 11:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Hello Katnip,

I am just going to echo what everyone else is saying. She will only stop when she actually wants too. Chances are if you called the ambulance she would end up having a psych assessment at the hospital, at least thats what happens down this way. But until she decides to change there is not much you can do apart from wait for that day. You can stop enabling her to drink. What you and her daughter are doing is only helping her feed her addiction but you also said that if you guys don't do it she goes to another person who takes advantage of her so it's a catch-22 really.

Natom.