Notices

Old 11-11-2012, 09:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hey there, I'm a new member and not sure what I'm looking for, but enthusiastic to give it a trial period.

I'm needing to make change in my drinking habit for good, and hoping a forum to express my concerns and accomplishments can help me with the challenge.
I suppose it isn't unusual that I don't know where I fit in as far as the severity of my alcohol issues- of course, I'd ideally love to feel like an adult who can enjoy a couple drinks socially, casually- but at this point I feel I can only get perspective by taking a significant break, cold turkey.

I'm on day 5 since I last drank anything and no big deal. Goin to the gym alot, findin stuff to do at home, eating better, etc.. But I've never genuinely given this a try. Im scared to disappoint myself. I'm tired of feeling unproductive and wasteful.. I could go on and on, but I'm sure it's all familiar to those who've been at this longer, or have heavier issues.

Thanks for your time and best wishes to all! I appreciate the understanding.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR InspiredAnew...I think you'll like us

D
Old 11-11-2012, 10:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome InspiredAnew!

It's never to early to address an issue with drinking - most of us found that the longer we drank, the worse our problem got. It can become a substitute for entertainment, coping with feelings, depression, anxiety, etc. etc....... and it gets harder and harder to stop.

Glad you're here - everyone on this board has a unique story regarding how much they drank and the consequences they suffered, but we all have a lot in common, too. If you've ever promised to cut down and couldn't, you're in the right place!
Old 11-11-2012, 10:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! You will find a lot of support and help on this forum, it has quite simply changed my life.
Read lots and keep posting. We're right behind you x
Old 11-11-2012, 10:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Genuine "thank yous" for your attention and kindness. I like seeing that there is a diverse range of experiences and needs here, even a dose of humor.

I definitely think a lightheartedness is important at least in my personal approach. I've been in service industry for about fifteen years and its easy to get caught up in the consistent night life and late hours.

I just feel a lack of substance as of late in my personal life, and I worry I've neglected my ambitions for too many years. I love my friends and I love a good time- but I gotta find some peace and moderation to feel I'm really "living".. ya know?
!!
Old 11-11-2012, 10:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have had very simliar feelings to you inspiredanew, your certainly not alone! I've just completed my 14th week sober and life feels so much fuller. you can still have friends and a good time without alcohol - keep up the good work!
Old 11-12-2012, 04:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR InspiredAnew x