Notices

Accidental taste of alcohol

Old 11-11-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Accidental taste of alcohol

Last night I went to a wedding. Things went well except for one minor hiccup -- at one point I went to the bathroom, and my husband and his friend ordered us another round of drinks. I had been drinking club soda and cranberry. When I got my new drink, it looked like pure cranberry juice, and was in a smaller glass than I had been drinking from (but I had been getting different sizes of glasses all night, so I didn't necessarily assign any importance to that. The venue wasn't very consistent in their use of different glasses.)

I asked my husband if the drink was a cranberry soda, and he said yes, he watched the bartender make it. (In hindsight, I guess he didn't watch very carefully.) I took a tentative sip and IMMEDIATELY spat it out -- vodka cranberry, and a strong one at that. I didn't swallow any of the drink. I ran to the bathroom to rinse my mouth out. When I rejoined my friends, I ordered another cranberry soda, no alcohol, and continued on with my night just fine like before.

But this is messing with my mind now. It was a complete accident, I didn't want to drink or have any intention of drinking, and I didn't swallow any alcohol. I still wonder what the implications of this are in terms of sober time though.

What do you guys think? I need reassurance.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't think counts. I'm taking some cold medicine right now, a syrup, I didn't even think to check for alcohol content.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Even if you swallowed it, you would not have meant to. I would say your sober time is nit affected.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sober - If you didn't intend to drink alcohol, how could it affect your sober time? It was just an accident, as you said - and your reaction proves how much you didn't want to drink. You're fine, in my opinion. Carry on.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Omg give ALL your coins back and change your signature NOW!!!!

I think you handled the situation just fine. I would NOT consider that a slip or relapse in ANY way, shape, or form.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA member

Please dont worry about this soberbythesea.Sounds as if you handled the situation perfectly and it dosent affect your sober time at all.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks you guys. I just talked to my husband about it and he said the same thing. That's what I thought, but I think I needed to hear it from some other people. Especially people here who would understand.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Different people view the "rules" differently. Luckily, there are no official "rules" for sobriety. It is determined by ones own terms.

Some say you can't cook with alcohol either. Some say even Benadryl or cold medicine is a no-no. Some even say anti-depressants are too mind altering to be consumed. I commend them for their vigor, however I do not agree with them on some things, nor do I have to.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I agree, no way is that a slip! You even double checked with your husband first to make sure. You're doing great remaining sober!!
Old 11-11-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The Christmas I got sober, we had plum pudding.
My sister and brother were very careful to give me the "non-brandy" brandy sauce.
Unfortunately my mother had been very liberal with the alcohol in the pudding.
Her memory is not great, so she might have hit it a couple of times.
My sister asked me if I was ok.
I took one bite and said, "I think that I might have to restart my day-count."
That plate was whipped off the table so fast!!!
My brother rose and proclaimed that the brandy sauce was the non-brandy sauce!!!!!
My mother looked confused!
My sister snarled!

You bet I kept my sobriety date!!!
Those clowns are more careful now. lol
Old 11-11-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

it was not intentional, why would you even NEED to ask everyone for validation???. TRUST yourself, you are the best judge of your behavior. you spit, you rinsed, you told, lol.

it was probably a busy night and the bartender just heard cranbury...automatically mixing vodka.