SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Realization this morning (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/274017-realization-morning.html)

ForMeForThem 11-11-2012 06:23 AM

Realization this morning

Today I start week 2 and I'm feeling good about making it through a week. I've had some urges I've had to fight off and sometimes I think about getting a bottle of wine out of habit and I have to remind myself, NO!

Well, this morning laying in bed at 5:30 am, I was thinking how great I felt making it through a week and then my thoughts started drifting...I thought "maybe my problem isn't drinking, it's just drinking wine" (because as hard as it was, I've accepted the fact that I can not moderate wine, once I have one, I'm done). I thought "maybe if I try a different cocktail I can be a "normal" drinker and just have a few in the evening", and then started thinking about what cocktails I could try, until all of a sudden it just hit me..."WHAT ARE YOU DOING???? Normal drinkers do not lie in bed at 5:30 on a Sunday thinking about what cocktails they can drink because they have a problem with wine". Clearly my problem is not just wine, my problem is drinking, period.

I have to accept that and keep a check on those thoughts, it's been easy to convince myself in the past, I can't go there this time.

Elisabeth888 11-11-2012 06:26 AM

Great job talking yourself through that! And so true. I tried switching beverages and it did not work!

lilgolden73 11-11-2012 06:26 AM

I have the same thougths....sigh.. I went through every kind of alcohol, but wine was my favorite. Hang in there!

escapist 11-11-2012 06:27 AM

I actually tried that. I was downing Crown Royal every day. I switched to wine because of it's lower alcohol content. I was really stupid. Went form a bottle of whiskey to about 16 glasses of wine a day. Your progress is great. It isn't easy but look what you have accomplished.

SASA 11-11-2012 06:34 AM

your post made me smile. The same thing happened to me. At least you realized it. For me I was actually stupid enough to try and see if I could switch beverages. My thoughts were: hey maybe I am the 1:1000000 that can do it. Of course it did not work....

aasharon90 11-11-2012 06:42 AM

I loved wine as well and when I was
out if it at home and wasnt able to
get to the store, and the cravings set
in, I reached for what ever was close
at hand. Sherry that I used to cook
with and wasnt my drink of choice.

However, because I needed that drink,
Sherry did the job till my next run to
the store.

Thank God Id don't have to live in that
sanity any longer. Now it's ice cream. :)

awuh1 11-11-2012 09:18 AM

Why is it, that the next thought out of my head after “maybe I’m not an alcoholic”, is “I think I’ll have a drink”?

Jeni26 11-11-2012 09:28 AM

The alcoholic brain is totally ridiculous!!
After every hard fought milestone-30, 60,90 days I've been so pleased with myself I've wanted a drink to celebrate......what's that all about?!?x