Notices

Journey Begins

Old 11-10-2012, 06:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Journey Begins

Hi all after another night with little recognition it is time for a change. So here goes day 1 today.

A little about me live in Australia and have 2 kids and a third due in January next year. I work as a state manager and manage a team of about 40 in telecommunications.

So why am I here? I have recognised the need to stop drinking as my drinking has got to the point where it is has potential to affect my health, my family & my career.

I suppose I am similar to most and have managed to hide alot of my drinking but i still have hurt those closest to me but in saying this I have also been incredibly lucky, on reflection just the amount of times I drove while drinking is scary and to date not having it affect work seriously having managed to control it but it is spirling. I am a night drinker and can easily drink a 700m bottle of scotch and operate a normal next day

My goal i dont know, never drink again the thought scares me, get it under contral , was it ever under control. so lets aim for a week I dont think in the last 15 years i have been without a drink for a week and see where that takes me ideally i would like to get to the stage where i could be a social drinker but in majotity of case a social drink ends up in a binge

Very aprehensive and will draw on forum for support and i suppose i have been lying to myself and others for some time and now is time for action
Old 11-10-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome gorc! It's great to have you here.

I tried to control the amounts I drank, but found it was impossible. I always meant well, but ended up drunk and doing stupid things every time I picked up. I had no choice but to give it up all together. It was such a relief to be free of it.

You aren't alone - you have us to help you figure this out. You can do it.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome. apprehensive and nervous but at least honest with myself I hope. Next will be I suppose tell others who know me but the animonity of this forum is a good place to satart

Will keep you posted and continue to read forum some inspiring stories there
Old 11-11-2012, 04:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.

I, too, tried to control the amount I drank, and it was a miserable failure that went on for years. My only choice is complete abstinance.

You'll find lots of support here. Take it one day at a time and try to think of where taking that first drink will lead you.

I look forward to hearing more from you. Remember you have a lot of good reasons to stay sober.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR gorc.

Glad you are here.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome! I think it's good to focus on small amounts of sobriety at a time. At first never drinking again seemed impossible, but now it is truely what I want. I thought I could drink again in moderation, tried it, but it was not long before I was back to my old ways again. SR is soooo helpful, I am on here reading every day.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

How are you today, gorc?

I was like blondie - I never could imagine life without drinking. It was part of everything I did. I wish I'd seen how badly it was damaging me - and how it was keeping me from accomplishing anything. Hope you are doing well.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

OK not a great achievement but day 2, I think day 3 will be a recent record for me so tomorrow will be a test. Works is stressful and driving home past all the drive throughs thinking buy just 2 beers. But 2 beers leads to next bottlo and more so I thought I would blog about it

made it home and jumped into work and read some posts so will get through. Dont feel bad or any withdrawl issues read about elsewhere but rest of week will challenge. Optimisitcally packed my swimming gear for tomorrow

My best to all
Old 11-12-2012, 02:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good luck Gorc. I tried moderation for 18 months. I often managed (say 3 BIG glasses if wine) but it lead to a binge every so often. Each one worse that the last.

It is a mental sigh of relief now to know that I won't drink as I don't have to count, bargain or rationalise my drinking. My focus is 100% in conversation. And I like it. I know I will not drink just for today.

Good luck

S x
Old 11-12-2012, 03:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
instant

Welcome Gorc. The fear of the future is normal in my experience. In time it is not a biggie. We only ever live in the now- the future of our emotions never arrives.

The "dread" is part of the withdrawal process.

Glad you are hear - great decision
Old 11-12-2012, 03:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Gorc x
Old 11-12-2012, 05:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gorc View Post
OK not a great achievement but day 2, I think day 3 will be a recent record for me so tomorrow will be a test. Works is stressful and driving home past all the drive throughs thinking buy just 2 beers. But 2 beers leads to next bottlo and more so I thought I would blog about it

made it home and jumped into work and read some posts so will get through. Dont feel bad or any withdrawl issues read about elsewhere but rest of week will challenge. Optimisitcally packed my swimming gear for tomorrow

My best to all
What do you mean not a great achievement?
Are you crackers?
You have done good.
Swim sounds great
Xx
Old 11-13-2012, 03:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

OK Day 3,

Was bone tierd last night and had some wierd dreams. Forgot what it is to dream sometimes. Work was hazy but pushed on.

Got the usual 6pm call "couple of beers downstairs" usually would say yep no probs as I catch a train but as I had a meeting today had the car so used driving excuse. its funny like any buisness district there are bars every where and today i did a survey and there 2 bottle shops and 6 bars with 500m of my desk

Best thing is today i told boss off the grog, used the getting healthy advise.

I think wil be OK for rest of week. Weekend will be killer and will update when/if I make it this far.

Best wishes
Old 11-13-2012, 03:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think wil be OK for rest of week. Weekend will be killer and will update when/if I make it this far

Take the IF out of that sentence and do this. Give yourself time without alcoHELL to get to a place where you can give yourself a chance of making it.

Believe me and I really mean this abstinence is a million times better than spending your life trying to moderate and all the obsession that it entails.

You have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain by stopping.

Don't let alcoHELL own you for the rest of your days, cause it will if you dont break free .

Sobriety is so frigging cool btw

EDIT. BTW is wont be a lifetime of moderation, there no such thing, it always leads back to binge/hangover/remorse.