Notices

I need help

Old 11-10-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question I need help

I am an 18 year old college student. I was prescribed Xanax when I was 16 and became very addicted. I also was put on Prozac for depression which did not help whatsoever because I overdosed on my Xanax in efforts to try and take my life. Since I OD'd on Xanax, my doctor changed my benzo to Ativan which is supposedly less addicting. My body has become so dependent on the Ativan in which first thing in the morning when I wake up my heart pounds and I have to take my Ativan. I go through my prescriptions quickly because my tolerance has gone up and I also love to "feel good" and take more than I should. It is very hard being away at school because as soon as I am out of my RX, I am in panic. I can't go a day without it and not being home to refill my prescription pronto stresses me out. I will take my parents Valium or Xanax or buy it just so I can get through my days when I run out of my RX. The worst part is that the day after drinking I get suuuper anxious and NEED benzos or I will literally go crazy and feel like I am having a seizure. I need to quit but I am so scared because my Ativan or any benzos are my security blanket and I cannot go a day without them... HELP?
Old 11-10-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Marie, I took Xanax for over 4 years after developing anxiety after health problems. I stopped the Xanax after going to rehab for alcohol. It was tough getting off both at the same time. I have taken Ativan a few times and while not as potent as Xanax it's still a benzo and addictive. It is possible to get off these drugs and manage anxiety with CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy), deep breathing and meditation. These aren't as quick and easy as popping a pill but they work and don't have nasty side effects.

Please don't try to stop any benzo cold-turkey. They are probably the only class of drugs more dangerous to withdraw from than alcohol. Benzos ideally should be tapered from under a doctor's supervision.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! Can you see your doctor about this? To have his help weaning you off the benzos. I've heard benzo withdrawals are bad so it's best to have medical help. I'd suggest asking your doctor for help.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You really , really need to garner the courage to tell your parents you are suffering from Ativan. Amazing to me that a doctor would prescribe Xanax to a teenager.

I was addicted to benzos (Klonopin) for a decade. The withdrawal is nothing to mess with.

I suspect that if you were prescribed Xanax at 16 your parents know about it. If that is the case, I pray you can muster the courage to talk to them about it and together find another doctor (not the one who wrote you the script for Xanax or Ativan and who probably writes the script for your parents, too) and ask about weaning off the drugs.

Benzos just aren't drug you can quit cold turkey and not face amazing consequences. You need informed, caring professional help. And you need the support of your parents.

Benzos create fast tolerance and also create extreme anxiety as the tolerance builds. You also get very anxious in between doses because of the dependence and tolerance.

Please find the courage to talk to your parents. Or maybe seek out third-party help in how to talk to them.

Praying for you.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MemphisBlues View Post
You really , really need to garner the courage to tell your parents you are suffering from Ativan. Amazing to me that a doctor would prescribe Xanax to a teenager.

I was addicted to benzos (Klonopin) for a decade. The withdrawal is nothing to mess with.

I suspect that if you were prescribed Xanax at 16 your parents know about it. If that is the case, I pray you can muster the courage to talk to them about it and together find another doctor (not the one who wrote you the script for Xanax or Ativan and who probably writes the script for your parents, too) and ask about weaning off the drugs.

Benzos just aren't drug you can quit cold turkey and not face amazing consequences. You need informed, caring professional help. And you need the support of your parents.

Benzos create fast tolerance and also create extreme anxiety as the tolerance builds. You also get very anxious in between doses because of the dependence and tolerance.

Please find the courage to talk to your parents. Or maybe seek out third-party help in how to talk to them.

Praying for you.
Hi Memphis Blues, thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it. The problem is I honestly feel like I need inpatient treatment but I am 2 hours away from home... I just don't know what to do and am so so scared to go off of it because my anxiety is so bad to the point that my chest literally physically aches if I don't take my ativan. My parents want me to do something with outpatient but I don't know how since I am away at school. I just am confused on what to do. I honestly am so addicted that I don't think out patient would work at all
Old 11-10-2012, 10:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Marie
have you told your parents how serious you feel this is. Like what you wrote in the post to Memphis?
Being a parent myself, I can't imagine that they wouldn't want to do whatever it takes.
take care
Old 11-11-2012, 07:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know all about the physical aspect of anxiety, the hammering chest, tightness, lactkof breath, etc. The problem with inpatient detox is that few facilities are that well versed in benzo withdrawal. They treat it like any other drug, get you off it cold turkey or as soon as possible, and just monitor your signs.

All that is imperative in benzo detox. But the counter-intuitive nature of benzo addiction is that the drug needs to be switched to a long-lasting benzo, like Valium, and tapered down slowly over a long period of time. that's not easy to do if you are controlling access to the drug yourself.

You really need to find a doctor versed in benzo withdrawal. Have you researched benzo.org? Great site and the founder is perhaps the world's leading researcher in benzo addiction and withdrawal regimes.

Do keep posting and reading here. It helps with any addiction. But when it comes to benzo addiction, nothing beats a medical professional who knows all there is to know about it. Even doctors who think they know benzo withdrawal will opt for a tapering program with cuts that are too severe. the best patient is an educated patient and you need to be scrupulous in finding a doctor who will adopt your plan.

Many go to benzo.org and print the Ashton Manual and ask their doctors to read it and give their opinion on it.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MemphisBlues View Post
I know all about the physical aspect of anxiety, the hammering chest, tightness, lactkof breath, etc. The problem with inpatient detox is that few facilities are that well versed in benzo withdrawal. They treat it like any other drug, get you off it cold turkey or as soon as possible, and just monitor your signs.

All that is imperative in benzo detox. But the counter-intuitive nature of benzo addiction is that the drug needs to be switched to a long-lasting benzo, like Valium, and tapered down slowly over a long period of time. that's not easy to do if you are controlling access to the drug yourself.

You really need to find a doctor versed in benzo withdrawal. Have you researched benzo.org? Great site and the founder is perhaps the world's leading researcher in benzo addiction and withdrawal regimes.

Do keep posting and reading here. It helps with any addiction. But when it comes to benzo addiction, nothing beats a medical professional who knows all there is to know about it. Even doctors who think they know benzo withdrawal will opt for a tapering program with cuts that are too severe. the best patient is an educated patient and you need to be scrupulous in finding a doctor who will adopt your plan.

Many go to benzo.org and print the Ashton Manual and ask their doctors to read it and give their opinion on it.

wow thank you so much. i never knew any of that. I will check out the site and my mom will help me find a doctor who knows what he's talking about for once!!! thank you!