Notices

New

Old 11-11-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it. Actually, Eveleivibe, my brother was not able to do it. He tried the moderate thing...really just wanted to be able to have a few beers with food---he even did it and stuck to it for a FULL year once---but eventually failed. He's been sober for over 3 years.
Has anyone read Cool, Hip and Sober? I'm about half way through. My brother gave it to me. The author says he has never seen anyone be able to successfully take a break, and then go back and moderately. We went over to another couple's house last night, and I didn't drink. I noticed I didn't talk as much, but I guess that's ok. I paid attention to what they drank--my friend had 2 lemon drop martinis and her husband had 2 jack and cokes. My husband had 3 beers---which is not alot for him. I also noticed the other couple drank their drinks very slowly. I would have had 3 and drank them most faster. The other thing about me is--I do drink alot of liquid in general, and I drink fast, even hot drinks like coffee. I drink tons of water. So I think that is a problem for me as well. No matter what type of drink is in front of me, I tend to drink it faster than most people.
I really like this web site. It's so nice to know you are all out there.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

BabyJane,
When you decided to stop for good, did you notice a big difference in your health? Were you anxious at first? Thanks.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Missy, one does not have to fall " all the way down the rabbit hole" to be an alcoholic. As with me, I did not have legal or health issues as a result of my drinking....but I was powerless over alcohol and my life had become unmanageable. It is a hard pill to swallow, to admit defeat against alcohol but if you do decide to quit drinking I would highly recommend a support group (ie AA) also, even though you think your drinking may not have been that much, seek out an MD to check your health.
Good luck in all your endeavors
Old 11-11-2012, 11:06 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Here's my story, for what it's worth.

One morning, on waking with yet another hangover, I watched a TV show that had a woman with an intervention on drug use. Although my drug was alcohol, I recognized my behaviours in that woman. Luckily I found SR and started reading and posting. That first day without alcohol I just felt hungover and anxious. That night I couldn't sleep (I usually drank a couple of bottles of wine in order to pass out - but I usually woke up at 2 or 3 am so didn't sleep much anyway).

The first week I felt like I was in a haze - like a perpetual hangover. Couldn't eat much and then started to sleep. I couldn't get enough. If I could have slept 14 hours a day, I would have. Then came the itchiness - scratching and itching all night. It usually started late afternoon - when I would usually have started drinking. By 30 days, those physical symptoms eased off. I was still reading SR daily.

I felt good about not drinking, investing in fancy bottled water instead of wine. I started to slack off of SR, feeling like I had this licked. I was so proud of myself. Then one day I had a crap morning at work and here came the voice. They don't appreciate you. You work hard and no one cares. It's never enough for them. You deserve a treat. Why not go out for lunch? In fact, why not have just a glass of wine with that nice lunch? In fact, why not just pack up for the day and have a nice long wine-y lunch?

That seemed like a great idea. Along with the extra bottle or two I picked up on the way home. Blah blah. We all know where it went from there.

I started AA in June. I know that I just can't drink. And I know that no matter what happens in my life, I need systems to help me stay sober - AA, SR, my sponsor, my family, people in my group. I just can't do this alone. But my life depends on me staying sober.

I hope you find your answer.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:31 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome missy!

It's not easy to admit we might have a problem, so I commend you for being here. I didn't realize the hold alcohol had on me until I tried to quit. Like the others here, I also found it difficult to stop after a drink or two. I always wanted more.

It took some time to get used to living sober, but I've found that I actually have more fun now than I did while drinking.

Glad you've joined us!
Old 11-11-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thank you. Very helpful. So, about 30 days for physical symptoms to stop? I feel like I already sleep alot on days I don't drink.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by missyd23 View Post
Thanks. If you don't mind me asking, when you decided to completely quit, what did you do for fun at first? Until you got used to the not drinking.
Hi Missy,

I am on Day 32 after numerous attempts to modify and also attempted to stop, but never for more than 16 days. Like you I am 41, and I have three amazing kids. I was sober through all of my pregnancies, but soon after wine began to call my name again.

I have been exercising a lot more, reading, and spending more quality times with my kids. My husband also drinks too much, he is not willing or ready to stop yet, though he is attempting to cut down (as I watch this the amount he cuts down depends on the day.)

After polishing off the majority of a large bottle of wine on October 11th I decided this is it. I called in sick, made an appointment with the chemical dependency unit through my insurance and talked to a counselor. Since then I have been seeing a counselor biweekly, took four weeks of education classed through my insurance, and have been reading many books, mainly memoirs of women who have overcome this. Diary of an Alcoholic Housewife was a great book. I tried two AA meetings and didn't feel it was the right fit for me. Women For Sobriety is another good site, and they have meetings,

Feel like I am rambling, but for me I have just had to make a conscious effort to plan my evenings. With a full time job and kid activities the days are not a problem for me.

Keep reading and posting on here and welcome!!!!
Old 11-12-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi Missy!

I've been sober for 23 months. I just got tired of feeling like crap all the time. I tried to moderate for a long time. I found it just wasn't worth it for me. My physical symptoms were over in a week or so. It took much longer until I felt comfortable in my own skin. For me, meditation and reading about addiction helped immeasurably. Reading here and interacting with these fine people helped too . . . a lot!

You know a whole world is out there just waiting for you to explore. I am so glad that I stopped before something terrible happened. One thing I just love is that I am able to jump into the car at any hour day or night. If my kids are sick, if someone needs a ride, if I am needed I can be there. My world got so small when I was drinking.

Also I rediscovered stars. I walk my dog late in the evening and I am amazed at the night sky. I missed a lot when I was drinking.