Notices

can i recover from my alcohol addiction without AA???????

Old 11-11-2012, 06:52 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
I'm grateful. And grateful drunks dont drink.
^^This! I continue to re-learn it everyday. And to my way of thinking, HOW we get there, is not as important as THAT we get there!
Old 11-11-2012, 09:09 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Lionhearted: Yes, of course you can recover using some of these alternative programs you mention, or perhaps others. I happened to have found some aspects of AA helpful but was concerned about some of the stuff and ended up joining an agnostics group. But I believe that there are many possible roads to recovery. The thing is to find the right one for you and then work at it. I found that one to one counseling did not work out for me in the long run and that it helped to be in a group of other recovering alcoholics. But this does not necessarily mean AA. Finally, I don't think much is gained, and possibly a great deal of unnecessary time and energy is spent, debating the merits of one approach rather than another. That time and energy might be best spent at getting started on some program and working hard at it. Try not to debate what causes it. Just work hard at recovering from it.

W.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Yes, you can absolutely do it. There are MANY roads to recovery, and everyone's different. In my case, exercise,vitamins, and my willpower alone didn't work. I had to reach out. Counseling and AA helped ME so much-but maybe not for the next person. Just find the path that is helping YOU and YOU only-this is for yourself, not anyone else. then put your heart into it. And by that I mean REALLY open up and put your heart into it, hold nothing back, just release it all and become free. Good luck you seem like you really want it and I believe in you. You're stronger than you think.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:32 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Windancer View Post
Yes! I have never felt comfortable in an AA group. Furthermore, I have felt uncomfortable and have had creepy old men try and hit on me. Numerous times I left wanting a drink more than ever! That is why I like this site...it is still a great support group but it isnt AA . Just find what works for you and dont get complacent with your support.
I'm a creepy old man but don't worry. I'm just a dog lover. Yes, I've sometimes felt very uncomfortable and at times have walked out of a meeting. A meeting never made me drink but some of them could have. But there are all sorts of meetings, all sorts of programs, all sorts of paths to recovery (AA is just one of them). The trick is to find the one that's right for you and then follow that path, climb that mountain.

W.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:53 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Thanks all great sdvice as usual..
Old 11-11-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Thanks for this post. I have been relapsing because I dont have the time to work AA the way it really needs to be worked. I will try some other method as well and this reminded me that I can do that
Old 11-11-2012, 04:25 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LiveLikeGold6 View Post
Thanks for this post. I have been relapsing because I dont have the time to work AA the way it really needs to be worked. I will try some other method as well and this reminded me that I can do that
Just because you don't have time for aa doesn't mean you don't have to put in the time. I spend more time on recovery now then when I tried aa. You really have to focus on recovery, at least for a while...
Old 11-11-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JJK View Post
there people on this website that would prove the point that yes, you can. there are many programs and scientific advancements that prove this fact also.

so then, why would anyone come on here and be like "NOOOO! YOU CANT!"

thats such a childish thing to do. why are people in 12 step so hell bent on self preservation of "were the only way". people using other vehicles of recovery are not this way. this reminds me of religions of the world having it out- "follow us or go to hell!" vs's the more open minded and respectful of everyones path ones.

aa is not bad. its old and needs to be revamped big time. it also doesnt help that a lot of the members run around like nutcases spouting off about a bunch of crap they know nothing about because some guy in 1935 wrote it in a book, so it must be everybodies experience.

to the OP, you answered your question. you should check out some of those resources.
Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

These kinds of threads can be really useful when people stick to what has worked for them...and when people refrain from making remarks about other peoples experiences.
Thanx Dee....
Old 11-11-2012, 06:48 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

After some time in recovery, I believe that recovery is mostly about a daily practice and persevering each and every day no matter what. For me it also includes contact with others a structure books meditation writing and living life-having fun
Old 11-11-2012, 07:03 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by nogard
living life-having fun
Thank you!!! I was wondering if someone was going to mention this.

Oh and yes, Lion.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:04 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Yep, it is absolutely possible.

I used AVRT with a little bit of Allen Carr mixed in. I've been 12 stepping with fitness and meditation and running and cycling and have never felt better than I do at this very moment.

You can do it too.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I don't wallow in depressive thinking. I enjoy my sobriety for me. I'm compassionate by nature, but if i can overcome the obsticles so can others.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:37 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Recovered

Originally Posted by Lionhearted1 View Post
The title says it all, can i overcome my drinking problems without aa because i have been in aa before it just did not feel right for me! i know there is rr/avrt, smart, allen carrs easy way and counselling to name a few but can i genuinely recover with those methods and being on here???
Yes.