Notices

I was in a coma after a withdrawal seizure

Old 11-09-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I was in a coma after a withdrawal seizure

Hello all, I've been sober for six weeks now. On October 4th of this year I suffered an alcohol withdrawal seizure. I quit cold turkey 2 days prior. I was luckily visiting my parents when the seizure happened and they were able to get me an ambulance and to the hospital in time. I was put into a coma in an effort to stop any further seizures. I was in this coma for two weeks, two weeks in the ICU, which is unheard of. Open heart surgery patients get out in 2 days. I almost died and I'm lucky I made it through and out. I was in the hospital for a month and have been out for two weeks now, things have been rough, I can't sleep, I twitch uncontrolably, my hand is numb and asleep non stop, all of which many Doctors attribute to me still withdrawing from the booze and many pills I took on top of the heavy drinking to sleep. I'm happy to be alive but have non stop regret over what all of this has put my family through. They learned alot about me in the past month but are very supportive. I hope I stay sober, have no desire to drink but I know the odds are against that. My life has changed forever because of this journey and thought I'd share my story, I'm scared but optimistic about the future. Alcohol brought me near the edge of death, and I'm happy to be sober right now.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your story. I am sure it will help many of us. Take care of yourself as I believe you made it through all of that for a purpose.
I am glad you are here.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

First and formost I am happy your ALIVE..

And thank you for coming and posting this. Because we talk and give a lot of advice on being medically detoxed for this kind of reason excatly.

I also wound up in the ICU from withdrawl, while in county jail and hallucating I was try to kill myself by running head first into the cell wall. I had no idea I was doing this till I was told. I spent 3 days in the icu with wet brain but ever so lucky the thiamine treatments worked and I came back..

AA and SR has been my savior in this journey and love my sober life today.. Welcome to it

If your quitting cold turkey please seek medical help, these are just 2 of the perfect examples.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry you had to go through that Trey but I'm glad you made it through.
I hope that you can make this your turning point

D
Old 11-09-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have no memory of having the seizure and no memory of these lost two weeks in a coma. I had tubes down my mouth to keep me alive and breathing, again no memory of any of this. But the pain of knowing my family had to see me like this makes me so angry at what I did to myself.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Are you using a program of recovery?
Old 11-09-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am glad you have made it through this ordeal and are out of the hospital. Thank you for telling your story. It could be a life-saver for someone else. Best wishes to you in overcoming the residual issues and in rebuilding your life.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad to hear that you are OK. Stay strong and Good luck my friend

-Twenties
Old 11-09-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

So sorry it is not fun, my Withdrwal I had to call 911 but my fingerrs would not work. It can get better.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Zee

Glad you are doing better now. I too had a month in hospital, mine was alcoholic hepatitis. It certainly got me scared straight. When it gets physical, it becomes real doesn't it! I have over 14 months sober now, it's not been easy and there have been times that just because I feel ok, that it's ok to drink... it's not worth it. Hope you continue to feel better
Old 11-09-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

JT,
Your family loves you....make them and yourself, proud.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Jedi - I'm so glad you're still with us - how terrifying that must have been.

I'm happy you're reclaiming your life. You'll appreciate everything more than ever, knowing you could have lost it.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad you survived that. I really hope that you make this turning point in your life.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am also one who landed in hospital because of drinking (alcoholic hepatitis, a couple of years ago). I was only in for four days, but I do understand the scare you get when drinking becomes physical enough to threaten your life -- Very very scary.

I do think things happen for a reason. You've been given a great chance here .. The past is done; it's what you choose to do from this moment forward that matters and that will mean so much to loved ones .. as you build good days, one at a time.

Glad you posted - thank you!
Old 11-09-2012, 05:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

JT, I appreciate your post and feel for you.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing.
We are all one drink away from disaster.

Glad you made it back alive. So many don't.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Jedi,

Been there, done that, unfortunately. Not the long hospitalization afterwards, though. In fact, not even an overnight. I've had 5 over the past 4 years. Not definitively caused by alcohol but...most likely. I did also have residual effects. Initially, muscle soreness from the clenching. For a while after, more congnitive stuff like memory issues. Hard to say exactly which was which because I went back to drinking pretty quickly each time. Amazing the amount of denial that I can manage. Last seizure was in March and I've been sober since May so I'm hoping that will be the end of that.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Can you elaborate on relevant levels of alcohol (and prescription drug) abuse that led to these symptoms? I think it's pretty clear the guy who has 2-3 beers a night isn't going to seize up--your experiences are a data point on my mental graph (hopefully further along the curve than I'll see personally, but who can say), just trying to get some grasp of the curve.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Well for me I was anywhere from 15-30 beers a day. 10-20 large shots of usually jager or blackhaus. And if I was at work around 5 large vodka cran's during work. Plus a couple shots.

Daily for a decade.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Thank you for your honesty and for sharing this. I am VERY glad you pulled through and are OK for the time being. This must have been one of the scariest thing that could have happened to you.

I would literally view this as God (or somebody) giving you a second chance at life. Be grateful for that. Many do not get the opportunity that has presented itself to you.

I wish you the best and will pray for you. Join us on chat if you ever have a free moment. We are definitely NOT a glum lot.

Take Care