Notices

FRIDAY ADVICE (day 4)

Old 11-09-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

FRIDAY ADVICE (day 4)

Today is going to be a struggle!! Today is day 4.

Any advice on how to get through the weekend when drinking is the first thing that comes to mind when my husband gets off work? No children in the house, just got paid, and we like to go out to eat have a "few" drinks but what really seems to have been one hundred shots and spend tons of money for the outcome over and over again to be nothing but REGRET!!

Have to get through not only today, tonight, but this whole weekend!!
Old 11-09-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't go out to eat if it is a trigger. Change your whole routine and do something different.

Go to the movies, go for a hike, cook dinner together, etc.....
Old 11-09-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm with you! I'm also on day 4 and struggling about going through the weekend. The bad part, I live alone and can do anything - get drunk. Instead, I plan going to the gym, then plan to see a movie in the night, and take 1-2 pepsi with me to help with cravings. I'm a beer guy, and pepsi helps a lot! Mainly, do everything you can to uplift your mood. You can go out, but resist the temptation to drink. Instead, order some great meal and several beverages, and enjoy the company. KEEP OCCUPIED.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I like to set goals and rewards for myself. It may sound dumb but redirecting my focus helps like learning something new, or a new fitness goal. Or because I am saving so much money not buying booze for every 5 days I am sober I reward myself with something... new music, new hat... something. Also the thought of making through the whole weekend is scary and then the next... BUT I just can't think like that, right now I am not going to drink and thats all I can think about. Tomorrow can worry about itself. YOu can do it!
Old 11-09-2012, 07:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you go to the movies..... Please check out the movie Flight. Powerful movie of an alcoholic.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My hubby and I have discussed a movie and I like to say, "but it's so expensive". REALLY? Going out and drinking is a lot more costly than going to a movie. We've also analyzed this even further to the point we say to one another that the movie is only two hours long, then what?

I'd really like to go to an AA meeting but getting him to go is very difficult. I was forced to go at the age of 20 because of a DUI and hated every second of it and couldn't wait to get out to go drink. The more they spoke about it the more I wanted to drink. Years later I've went on my own spuradically here and there and I really enjoy it. The longest I've stayed sober from alcohol since I was around the age of 21 (now 35) was two weeks and that was with going to not one but two AA meetings a day. It really helped me. Unfortunately, the 13th steppers were a big turn off. If my husband were there maybe this would not be a problem. We're living in a new area now but I think I will go ahead and look into the meetings here. Let's hope that I can get him to go.

We'd also like to go play bingo but a lot of the halls are within a club that serves alcohol. That's when we like to say, "okay no shots we'll just drink beer" yeah right!

Grrr...I'm so freaking stupid! How in the world did I get myself here? Because I started drinking so young and have been in court ordered counseling I knew alcoholism was a progressive disease. Why did I just ignore everything I ever heard and continue to drink to the point I feel like I can't stop??
Old 11-09-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Livingtoday View Post
If you go to the movies..... Please check out the movie Flight. Powerful movie of an alcoholic.
This movie is in the theaters now? Yes, that would be awesome. I will look into it. Thank you.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Its now in theaters. You may not even net an aa meeting after viewing that movie. At least for that day. It really puts drinking, denial and the whole nine yards into reality. It's well worth the money. Plus try going early when the cost is only 5 bucks. Stay away from the concession stand if possible. That helps keep the cost down tremendously.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's never too late to begin a new life with
a clean slate alcohol free today. Yesterday
is gone, behind you, to never happen again.

Staying sober one day at a time begins with
change. If your so use to having alcohol in ur
refrigerator, then get rid of it. Replace it with
healthier items such as milk, juices, etc.

If it's not in ur home, then when u have an
urge to drink, which will pop up often in early
recovery, then you have time to think before
you take action. Time to think of something
different other than driving to the store, get out
of ur car, walk inside to the alcohol isle, make
ur choice, walk to the checkout, walk back to ur
car, drive home and if you havent poped the top
already, which is what i did before starting the car,
and drink the rest of the day into oblivion.

So many steps to kill yourself with poison or
chose another way to not get that drink to ur
lips. Or you can take those healthier steps in
a recovery program learning to live each day
in a more healthier, happier, honest way of
life for yrs to come.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Its now in theaters. You may not even net an aa meeting after viewing that movie. At least for that day. It really puts drinking, denial and the whole nine yards into reality. It's well worth the money. Plus try going early when the cost is only 5 bucks. Stay away from the concession stand if possible. That helps keep the cost down tremendously.
My husband get home from work around 5. We live in a small town now and the movie starts either at 6:30 or 9:45. Would certainly be nice if there was one around 8. =( Really want to go maybe we'll go tomorrow when it is cheaper and it will help us through tomorrow. As far as AA meeting the only one tonight is 5:30. No way will I be able to get him to do that as soon as he gets home!!
Old 11-09-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's a good one, can also recommend.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Break the habits. Do something different. Go to a resraurant that does not sell alcohol (friendlys), or get a recipe and go to a supermarket that does not sell alcohol and buy stuff to cook a big meal to keep busy. Also buy tons of fancy nonalcoholic drinks, root beer, teas, sparkling juices. I went to a movie on my first night at a theater that did not sell alcohol. Stay on here. Keep peeling in ANC gain strength from all of the people here staying sober over the weekend. Good luck. It is possible!!
Old 11-09-2012, 08:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Originally Posted by faith610 View Post
As far as AA meeting the only one tonight is 5:30. No way will I be able to get him to do that as soon as he gets home!!
What if you go by yourself?
Old 11-09-2012, 08:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Go out to eat at a place that doesnt serve alcohol. There are a few where I live, thank goodness!
Old 11-09-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PaperDolls View Post
Paperdoll, NICE maybe I will just tell him that Im going and where it will be and he can meet me there. I think I just might do that. This will show that I'm actually taking a first big step and he can either follow or sit back. I need AA and actually like I said, I really enjoy them. Never been to a meeting here where I live now but will keep my mind wide open.

Thank you!!
Old 11-09-2012, 09:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jen31 View Post
Go out to eat at a place that doesnt serve alcohol. There are a few where I live, thank goodness!
We had a Denny's just open here. Maybe we'll go try that out. If we have to wait a long period of time I guess atleast we won't be drinking! =)
Old 11-09-2012, 09:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PaperDolls View Post
BTW...CONGRATULATIONS on your 3 years Paperdolls!! Good work, keep it up and please,please, continue giving any advice you can to all of us newbys!