Notices

Whats it Gunna take!!

Old 11-09-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Whats it Gunna take!!

I have woken up after some drunk related Mayhem and promised myself my fiancé my child that I will stop and sometimes it been a really bad consequence and it has stopped me for 3 months but then iam back drinking. My mind seems to be able to put all these issues in a 3 rd party way so when I look back it's like it's not really me. If some one was to tell me all the problems caused by drink I would think that they are absolutely mad to continue yet myself cant see it that way!!!!

Has anyone overcome this or will always be that Way and I will have to find away to recover anyhow??

And also in the past the obsession never left me not even after 3 months does it really go?? Or is it something you have to live with??

Thanks
Old 11-09-2012, 06:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am still working on it Lion....all I can say is hang in there and don't give up!
Old 11-09-2012, 06:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When we are drunk we don't see reality.

I can identify with you on the looking at the things I have done and truly being incredulous that I have been so stupid. But you have to stop drinking or you will keep doing stupid stuff.

The obsession comes and goes for me. You have to be "willing to be uncomfortable" is what has been said to me. And I AM, a lot of the time.

Another thing my sponsor says is "Move a muscle, change a thought". IT WORKS! Do something productive or get on here and post when you want to drink. I like moving furniture around or organizing stuff in my house for some reason. Or baking a cake. Whatever floats your boat. It does get your mind off of it though.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I recovered through AA. The obsession has not returned in over 4 years thanks to the program of the 12 steps.

The Big Book of AA says talks about a strange mental blank spot that many of us alcoholics get. "We are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink.”

Will power does very little, promises are broken and we justify taking a drink.

Are you involved in any program of recovery?
Old 11-09-2012, 07:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA member

For me the obsession left me once I started to go to AA meetings,got a sponsor and worked the 12 step programme of recovery.

Prior to that I could stop drinking on my own,the obsession with alcohol remained and it was a living hell for me.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i am one of many who have overcome it. 1st thing i had to do was decide i was sick and tired of the insanity and wanted to change. then i went to AA, worked the steps and put in the footwork to change me and my thinkin . if nothin changed, nothin was gonna change.
the craving, compulsion, and obsession wasnt gonna leave if i kept doin the same things over and over expecting different results, which is insanity.
i think you are seein yer way aint workin for crap. please look into a program to help ya.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lion...didn't you post something about AA meetings and your car? I have an idea..buy a hoopty junker just for AA meetings...lol so no one gives you crap!
Old 11-09-2012, 08:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by bbthumper View Post
I recovered through AA. The obsession has not returned in over 4 years thanks to the program of the 12 steps.

The Big Book of AA says talks about a strange mental blank spot that many of us alcoholics get. "We are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink.”

Will power does very little, promises are broken and we justify taking a drink.

Are you involved in any program of recovery?
Same here but 3+ years
Old 11-09-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The obsession left me when I finally had enough. Drinking was such a nightmare for me I never want to go back. Be honest with your self about your past. Take time to meditate as crazy as it sounds. Just 20 minutes alone and take time to look at yourself. If you really want to quit it is all there in front of you.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

The obsession definitely left me as I began to change my life. Remember stopping drinking is the beginning. I had to take a hard look at myself and make changes in the way I lived my life. I had to reconnect spiritually in order to find a purpose in my life. Don't expect the obsession to leave you until you do the work to make that happen.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Lion

The obsession has almost, nearly 98% left me. I have 270 days today.
But... I had to work at it.

I had to change my routine for starters. No long day at work and coming home to a drink.
No putting my baby to bed and a drink to relax.
I did not go to the bar after work with colleagues when away on conference.

I won't lie at times it was hard. But gradually I got there.

I got busy - exercising, getting the home office sorted, lots of early nights in bed on my laptop reading on SR, sorting things out for a car boot sale, loading all my digital photo's onto my mac, got passionate about charities like centrepoint and missing people.

The payback is flipping awesome.

No incessant voices in my head shoutng 'you drink too much, your an alchy, one glass won't hurt, you can never drink again, why not just try 2 drinks a night, why not just try drinking at weekends, everyone knows you are a drunk, everyone laughs at you'.

It was endless and now I have a lot more peace.

I also don't think holiday = drink, christmas = drink, birthdays = drink, friday night = drink, sunday lunch = drink, spa day = drink.

Those associations just do not enter my head anymore.
I never thought for one minute I would be free of them but I am almost.

In fact I see myself as lucky now. It's amazing how many people do not know how to go to the footy without drinking, how to get through a friends birthday meal without booze. I feel lucky now, that I know how to survive without a drink and that by simply refusing that first drink means I cannot get drunk.

Are you thinking of trying AA again?

I